Civil engineers are responsible for the design, supervision, building, maintenance and operation of construction systems and projects in both the private and public sectors. Projects they work on include roads, tunnels, airports, buildings, bridges and water supply and treatment systems. Civil engineers can work in many areas, including research, design, construction and education.
There are some key abilities and qualities you will want to be sure to highlight on your civil engineer job description. For instance, civil engineers must have excellent problem-solving skills. They need to be able to identify issues with designs or projects and find the proper solutions.
Additionally, civil engineers should have outstanding mathematical skills, as they utilize various areas of mathematics in their work. These professionals also should have the ability to lead team members and communicate effectively. Check out the civil engineer job description template that follows to see how to write an effective job description.
Civil Engineer Job Summary
Do you seek a position where you will be able to utilize your design, engineering and problem-solving abilities? If so, we have just the position for you. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic civil engineer to join our professional team. In this role, you will have various responsibilities, including preparing drawings for industrial and commercial developments, municipal roadways and stormwater management projects. In addition, you will work with management and your team members to perform scheduling, budgeting and client communication. This position is an excellent opportunity for individuals who seek a thrilling and challenging experience with great rewards with a company committed to producing quality solutions and results.
* Inspect project sites and monitor progress, ensuring work done conforms to safety standards and design specifications while determining if changes or adjustments need to be made
* Test materials and soils to determine the strength of concrete, steel, asphalt and foundations of buildings
* Utilize computer assisted design and other drawing tools to plan and design various types of systems and structures, including roadways, buildings, water systems and tunnels
* Direct and participate in surveying activities to lay out installations and establish grades, reference points and elevations to properly guide construction
* Determine design specifications by computing grade and load requirements and material stress factors
* Manage and direct operations, construction and maintenance activities being done at project sites
* Prepare public reports on various topics, including deeds, bid proposals, property descriptions and environmental impact statements
* Ensure activities comply with all environmental, governmental and safety regulations and address all problems concerning actions that do not comply
Job Skills & Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
* Excellent problem solving and communication skills
* Experience or coursework in AutoCAD
* Previous experience in an engineering field
* OSHA training and certification
* Prior work on geotechnical, waste management or environmental projects
A well-written civil engineer job description will get you far, but you won’t reach your end goal if you don’t post it where candidates will look. Some of the best places to post job descriptions include your company website, social media sites and online job boards. The most effective way of ensuring you reach numerous candidates is posting your description in multiple places. This will increase your chances of finding just the right person.
Unfortunately, posting to several places can be time-consuming. There is a solution, however, and that is to use MightyRecruiter. This way, you will be able to post jobs for free to hundreds of online boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter