Civil engineers are responsible for the design, supervision, building, maintenance and operation of construction systems and projects in both the private and public sectors. Projects they work on include roads, tunnels, airports, buildings, bridges and water supply and treatment systems. Civil engineers can work in many areas, including research, design, construction and education.
There are some key abilities and qualities you will want to be sure to highlight on your civil engineer job description. For instance, civil engineers must have excellent problem-solving skills. They need to be able to identify issues with designs or projects and find the proper solutions.
Additionally, civil engineers should have outstanding mathematical skills, as they utilize various areas of mathematics in their work. These professionals also should have the ability to lead team members and communicate effectively. Check out the civil engineer job description template that follows to see how to write an effective job description.
Civil Engineer Job Summary
Do you seek a position where you will be able to utilize your design, engineering and problem-solving abilities? If so, we have just the position for you. We are currently looking for an enthusiastic civil engineer to join our professional team. In this role, you will have various responsibilities, including preparing drawings for industrial and commercial developments, municipal roadways and stormwater management projects. In addition, you will work with management and your team members to perform scheduling, budgeting and client communication. This position is an excellent opportunity for individuals who seek a thrilling and challenging experience with great rewards with a company committed to producing quality solutions and results.
* Inspect project sites and monitor progress, ensuring work done conforms to safety standards and design specifications while determining if changes or adjustments need to be made
* Test materials and soils to determine the strength of concrete, steel, asphalt and foundations of buildings
* Utilize computer assisted design and other drawing tools to plan and design various types of systems and structures, including roadways, buildings, water systems and tunnels
* Direct and participate in surveying activities to lay out installations and establish grades, reference points and elevations to properly guide construction
* Determine design specifications by computing grade and load requirements and material stress factors
* Manage and direct operations, construction and maintenance activities being done at project sites
* Prepare public reports on various topics, including deeds, bid proposals, property descriptions and environmental impact statements
* Ensure activities comply with all environmental, governmental and safety regulations and address all problems concerning actions that do not comply
Job Skills & Qualifications
* Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field
* Excellent problem solving and communication skills
* Experience or coursework in AutoCAD
* Previous experience in an engineering field
* OSHA training and certification
* Prior work on geotechnical, waste management or environmental projects
Civil Engineer Job Responsibilities
Most jobseekers spend seconds looking at a job posting before deciding whether or not to apply. The section that garners the most attention is the civil engineer job responsibilities section. To make it easy for them to skim through this section, utilize bullet point lists. To populate your list, focus on the 6-8 most important duties and tasks for the position. Attract more applicants through incorporating exciting projects and measurable deliverables. With the right language, jobseekers easily envision themselves in the role, increasing the chance they apply for the position.
It is essential that you accurately impart the duties and responsibilities in your civil engineer job description. This ensures you receive mostly qualified individuals, providing you with a pool of strong candidates from which to draw the right person for the position. You also increase job satisfaction and employee retention. When applicants have the right expectations about a job, they are more likely to be content and choose to stay in the role.
The following are a few examples of responsibilities and duties to include in your civil engineer job description:
- Assess soil to select the right materials for a strong and secure foundation and structure
- Survey construction sites and lay out reference points, grades, installations or elevations to provide guidance
- Monitor construction projects to ensure health and safety compliance and adherence to design specifications
- Present reports to the public detailing proposals, environmental impact and other pertinent information
Civil Engineer Job Specifications
Before you sit down to write the civil engineer job description, meet with key staff members to discuss the vital skills and background for the position. This provides you with ideas on what to include in the skills and qualification section. By detailing certain civil engineer job specifications, you ensure you have a pool of qualified individuals from which to find your new hire. Do not make the mistake of dismissing this section; it is essential for finding your next civil engineer.
When you develop your posting, you have the option to create two lists for your skills and qualifications: preferred and required. To do this, review the list you compiled in the meeting with your staff. Assess whether the skill or training is necessary for success from day one, with no room for learning it on the job. These will go on the required bullet list. The ones that are simply nice but not vital to the position go on your preferred list.
The following provides some additional inspiration for your qualifications and skills section on your civil engineer job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related field; master’s degree preferred
- 5-7 years of experience
- PE license preferred
- Proficient in Auto CAD, Revit and RISA 3-D