Civil engineering technicians generally work under the supervision of licensed civil engineers to design buildings and infrastructure, such as bridges and highways. These technicians also play important roles in the construction process, from site evaluation to quality control and problem solving during the building phase. However, technicians generally are not licensed, which means they cannot supervise projects or provide final approval for designs.
Your civil engineering technician job description should stress the need for candidates who have experience with CAD and other relevant software. In addition, you may wish to specify whether candidates should have experience with data analysis and site testing procedures.
The perfect candidate for this position also must be able to effectively communicate plans, findings and data to engineers, other supervisors and even the public. This civil engineering technician job description offers an overview of what information you should provide in your own job posting.
Civil Engineering Technician Job Summary
As a civil engineering technician with our firm, you will have the opportunity to bring your CAD skills and passion for design to bear, delivering state-of-the-art construction solutions to our clients. You will play an integral role in every phase of the construction process from initial planning to project realization and utilize the latest drafting technology to bring customers’ visions to life. This position offers you the opportunity to work closely with our experienced team of licensed civil engineers and provides a varied work environment that allows you plenty of chances to get out of the office and into the field.
- Draft layouts of construction sites and plans in strict accordance with project specifications using CAD software under the supervision of a licensed civil engineer
- Interpret GPS data collected at project sites using GIS software, and translate information into AutoCAD drafts
- Evaluate sites prior to construction, and perform onsite inspections as well as field and laboratory tests to assess local soils and construction materials
- Analyze data collected through onsite and laboratory tests, prepare reports on the results, communicate relevant findings to engineers, and develop and maintain files on previous and existing projects
- Estimate costs for proposed construction and operation plans and materials
- Observe ongoing projects to identify and resolve any problems, and ensure construction meets relevant codes and other requirements
- Respond to public comments and concerns in a friendly, professional manner
- Support and communicate with engineers, project managers and other supervisors throughout all stages of the drafting, design and construction process
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D
- At least two years of relevant experience
- High school diploma
- Valid driver’s license
- Familiarity with Bentley CAD and GIS software
- Associate degree or equivalent technical certification
An accurate, well-written job description is important for finding the perfect candidate. Alerting the right people about the open position at your company is the crucial next step for attracting potential hires who meet your requirements.
There are plenty of platforms you can use during your quest for a qualified civil engineering technician. Social media and company websites are great places to start advertising. Job boards are another effective solution for reaching jobseekers statewide or at the national or international level. There is a huge array of job boards out there, however, and uploading your civil engineering technician job description to every one of them can be frustrating and time consuming if not downright impossible. That’s why it’s a good idea to use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of locations.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter