Civil engineering technicians generally work under the supervision of licensed civil engineers to design buildings and infrastructure, such as bridges and highways. These technicians also play important roles in the construction process, from site evaluation to quality control and problem solving during the building phase. However, technicians generally are not licensed, which means they cannot supervise projects or provide final approval for designs.
Your civil engineering technician job description should stress the need for candidates who have experience with CAD and other relevant software. In addition, you may wish to specify whether candidates should have experience with data analysis and site testing procedures.
The perfect candidate for this position also must be able to effectively communicate plans, findings and data to engineers, other supervisors and even the public. This civil engineering technician job description offers an overview of what information you should provide in your own job posting.
Civil Engineering Technician Job Summary
As a civil engineering technician with our firm, you will have the opportunity to bring your CAD skills and passion for design to bear, delivering state-of-the-art construction solutions to our clients. You will play an integral role in every phase of the construction process from initial planning to project realization and utilize the latest drafting technology to bring customers’ visions to life. This position offers you the opportunity to work closely with our experienced team of licensed civil engineers and provides a varied work environment that allows you plenty of chances to get out of the office and into the field.
- Draft layouts of construction sites and plans in strict accordance with project specifications using CAD software under the supervision of a licensed civil engineer
- Interpret GPS data collected at project sites using GIS software, and translate information into AutoCAD drafts
- Evaluate sites prior to construction, and perform onsite inspections as well as field and laboratory tests to assess local soils and construction materials
- Analyze data collected through onsite and laboratory tests, prepare reports on the results, communicate relevant findings to engineers, and develop and maintain files on previous and existing projects
- Estimate costs for proposed construction and operation plans and materials
- Observe ongoing projects to identify and resolve any problems, and ensure construction meets relevant codes and other requirements
- Respond to public comments and concerns in a friendly, professional manner
- Support and communicate with engineers, project managers and other supervisors throughout all stages of the drafting, design and construction process
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D
- At least two years of relevant experience
- High school diploma
- Valid driver’s license
- Familiarity with Bentley CAD and GIS software
- Associate degree or equivalent technical certification
Civil Engineering Technician Job Responsibilities
In a civil engineering technician job description, it’s important to lay out the tasks and responsibilities you expect of the role. The job responsibilities section should be the most thorough portion of the job description. However, that does not mean it should be overly saturated with perfunctory tasks and detailed sentences. The section needs to be concise and readable.
A bullet point list is the easiest way to present the responsibilities section in your civil engineering technician job description. Choose 6-8 of the most fundamental tasks of the role. The duties should be specific and diverse enough that they provide a full picture of the position and of your expectations of the applicant. Additionally, the job responsibilities section should help attract talented candidates in offering enriching challenges and a fulfilling career.
To get a better idea of how to successfully attract jobseekers, use the following examples of civil engineering technician job responsibilities to help refine your job description:
- Draft dimensional project drawings to ensure construction compliance
- Survey project site and record necessary calculations
- Coordinate construction efforts with city officials
- Ensure blueprints are accurate and adhered to
- Inspect worksite and evaluate progress of project
- Account for budgeting oversights and cost estimates
Civil Engineering Technician Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your civil engineering technician job description should provide a mix of both preferred and required skills. These include education levels, professional experience, training and other employable attributes. The objective of this section is to limit the number of unqualified candidates from applying. A reasonable pool of jobseekers offers options, but too many can hinder your hiring efforts. By establishing clear requirements, you can rule out any underqualified candidates from the mix.
As in the previous sections of your civil engineering technician job description, keep your skills section concise. Before writing your description, take your two lists of preferred and required skills and prioritize each item by importance. You should confer with others on the hiring team about the order of this list. Finally, in the job description, present the finalized bullet list, using brief, fragmented sentences.
Take a look at these civil engineering technician job specifications for a clearer understanding of the job qualifications and skills section and the kind of information to include:
- Associate degree required; bachelor’s preferred
- 2-3 years’ experience in infrastructure engineering
- CAD software (Autodesk) and technology
- ESRI ArcGIS mapping software and terrain modelling systems
- Active problem solver and experienced coordinator
- English/Spanish bilingual applicants preferred