A clinical laboratory technician collects and analyzes samples of body fluids to detect the presence of normal and abnormal substances. These scientists may also use a variety of computerized medical and laboratory equipment to study and record details about samples and make recommendations for further testing or suitability of samples for transfusions.
When you’re writing your clinical laboratory technician job description, start by including relevant scientific and medical training along with required licenses. You may also want to include clinical work experience to ensure candidates are proficient with modern laboratory equipment.
Laboratory technicians must display strong attention to detail and a thorough understanding of medical data. Many positions also require technicians to use precise instruments properly and to stand for long periods of time. Read through the professional clinical laboratory technician job description below to see how to include all these details in your own job posting.
Clinical Laboratory Technician Job Summary
If you are a dedicated clinical laboratory scientist with an excellent work ethic and passion for helping others, we want you to join our team of extraordinary technicians. You will have the chance to work with a tight-knit group of experts and expand your professional knowledge through access to cutting-edge equipment in an environment dedicated to excellence. We encourage every member of our staff to continue learning and growing in his or her discipline, so we offer numerous opportunities for additional training and career development. If you are ready to meet daily challenges with high-quality work and a positive attitude, we are excited to reward you with competitive pay, excellent benefits and the chance to quickly advance your career.
- Collect and analyze a variety of body fluid and tissue samples daily using numerous testing methods to create detailed reports of normal and abnormal substances, according to standard laboratory best practices and state medical regulations
- Operate manual and automatic laboratory equipment as required, including microscopes and cell counters, to complete required testing accurately and efficiently
- Review results to create detailed testing logs and medical reports, answer specific requests for information and transfer relevant findings into patient’s medical history
- Communicate test results and findings clearly to all interested parties, including other clinical technicians, physicians, healthcare specialists and laboratory managers
- Comply with accepted regulations for health, safety and standardized laboratory practices to ensure accuracy and viability of test results
- Perform specialized tests on blood samples to determine eligibility for transfusion, and document all relevant data, including blood type, number of cells and cell morphology, in computerized databases and physical reports
- Train entry-level medical technicians by demonstrating proper use of equipment, verifying accuracy and completeness of initial reports and ensuring compliance with safety standards
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in medical technology, or clinical laboratory science certificate with 2 years of experience
- Clinical laboratory technician license
- Attention to detail and in-depth professional knowledge
- Physically able to stand for long periods of time and display exceptional manual dexterity
- Proficiency with modern laboratory equipment and computerized medical records
- Current CPR certification
Once you’ve crafted a comprehensive and attractive clinical laboratory technician job description, the next step is to decide where to post it to catch the attention of qualified, motivated jobseekers. Posting in the right locations can minimize the time it takes to find and hire the right candidate.
There are numerous posting options for job descriptions, including free online job boards, paid recruiting sites and professional social networks. Some hiring managers also utilize the company’s official website for job listings. Posting in multiple places can increase the visibility of your job description and provide access to a large pool of qualified candidates. However, going through all the work to post your listing in numerous places can take a lot of time, so consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of sites at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter