Medical laboratory technologists perform tests ordered by physicians on collected samples of bodily tissue, fluids and blood. In comparison to medical technicians, technologists perform more complex testing in addition to preparing specimens for viewing and completing detailed testing protocols.
The ability to utilize advanced medical technology in test procedures is a necessary skill to include on your clinical laboratory technologist job description. Ideally, clinical laboratory technologists should have prior experience with a wide range of technology interfaces in the medical field.
Detail orientation is another skill necessary to being a successful clinical laboratory technologist. Exact protocols must be followed to attain accurate results. Refer to the following clinical laboratory technologist job description template for direction in writing your own job description for this very important position in the medical field.
Clinical Laboratory Technologist Job Summary
Be a part of a team providing the best of care to patients as you leverage medical advancements in diagnosis as a clinical laboratory technologist at Boston Hospital. Collect and examine patient samples to generate the information physicians need to treat their patients. Use the most up-to-date diagnostic equipment available as you work with a clinical laboratory team and supervisor who are committed to excellence. If you have a B.S. in Medical Technology and a desire to make a positive difference in the lives of our patients, apply for our open clinical laboratory technologist jobs today, and fully utilize your skills and training with our team.
- Perform both standard and individualized tests on bodily samples of tissue or fluid, providing consistently reliable test results
- When necessary, verify test results per physician request
- Understand the medical principals and knowledge behind all laboratory testing in order to train clinical technicians in routine testing tasks
- Use medical knowledge to Interpret testing data for laboratory test results that are sent to the physician and document test results in patient medical records
- Recognize performance irregularities in technical testing instruments and report them to the laboratory supervisor in order to maintain test accuracy
- Utilize both automated testing equipment as well as manual methods of testing samples, including the use of microscopes, slides, vials, chemical compounds and Petri dishes
- Participate in quality control and performance improvement initiatives both laboratory based and hospital wide to positively impact patient care
- Learn new testing techniques, procedures and new tests on cutting-edge equipment to maintain the highest level of diagnostic ability possible
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Baccalaureate degree in medical laboratory science
- Detail oriented and skilled in computer-based testing equipment
- High level of dexterity and the ability to stand for a whole shift
- Willing to work a variety of shifts both during the week and on weekends
Once you have crafted the ideal clinical laboratory technologist job description, you need to get it in front of qualified candidates in order to have a large pool of applicants to choose from. When posting your available job, it is best to use an integrated approach to reach as many laboratory technologists as possible.
This means posting your position on both general and niche job boards as well as on company websites and social media outlets. This can be taken care of easily by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free so the largest amount of prospective applicants can view your position.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter