CNC machinists program, run and monitor computer-numeric-controlled machines, which are used to make metal tools and parts. They ensure that the machines are operating correctly and that pieces are cut to perfection. They also perform maintenance on the machines and replace dull or aged parts as necessary.
There are multiple ways to become a qualified CNC machinist. Some people take courses at community colleges, while others take apprenticeship courses offered by manufacturers or by their employers. Because people sharpen their expertise over time through trial and error, your CNC machinist job description should specify how many years of CNC experience you are seeking from candidates.
CNC machinists should be problem-solvers because they frequently troubleshoot problems and perform repairs. To that end, they should also be mechanically skilled and comfortable using CNC software. Keep reading to learn more about the characteristics you should list in your CNC machinist job description.
CNC Machinist Job Summary
Precision Tooling Associates seeks a CNC machinist to aid our company in its mission to deliver custom metal parts of superior quality at incredible prices. As one of our CNC machine operators, you will interpret client specifications, enter them into the CNC machine, set up the machine and monitor it as it operates. You will make critical contributions to our company’s reputation, ensuring the excellence of our products by following inspection protocols and detecting errors before products are released. You will report to plant manager Peter Wolfe and undergo training on specialized machines, such as plasma cutters and EDMs. If you desire, you may also eventually take on a leadership role as a shift manager.
- Determine the fixtures, attachments and tools necessary to complete jobs according to specifications, and mount them to machine prior to beginning cutting
- Discuss project specifications with engineers and supervisors to guarantee consistency between plans and products, and collaborate to modify designs when existing ones are not feasible
- Modify machine speed, tooling and cutting style to ensure precision and accuracy of manufactured parts
- Oversee cutting process, make adjustments throughout each job, catch mistakes as they happen and take necessary measures to eliminate errors
- Supervise machine temperatures, ensure that machine has adequate warm-up and cool-down time between jobs and replace coolant periodically
- Review and interpret cutting plans, enter them into control outlets before jobs and alter them to correct mistakes when necessary
- Inspect all finished products for accuracy and uniformity to ensure product quality and uphold company reputation
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly maintenance tasks to ensure machine longevity, including lubrication, cleaning and tool replacement
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least one year of experience operating CNC machines
- Comfortable using tools and maintaining machinery
- Familiarity with programming and interpreting CNC software
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities
- Values precision and enforces quality standards
- Ability to understand G-code
With your CNC machinist job description written, you can continue with the rest of the recruitment process. Your next step should be to distribute your job description to places where your ideal employees will find it. If you want to attract candidates who are familiar with your brand, consider placing a listing on your company website. For an inexpensive and far-reaching option, you can post about your job opening on your social media accounts.
Even if you do use your website or social media for recruiting purposes, you should also make use of job boards. These are usually an effective way to find applicants, but it can take a long time to track down the best boards and post to all of them. To save time and post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once, distribute your listing through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter