Commercial pilots fly aircraft for various purposes. They usually transport cargo or carry out other jobs, such as spraying crops. They may also fly charter flights and transport people. This type of pilot generally does not fly on a set schedule, so flights and jobs may vary from day to day.
In creating your commercial pilot job description, you want to stress the importance of full training, licensing and certification as required by state and federal governments. In addition, pilots should have good people skills, including communication skills. A pilot should also be familiar with flying different types of aircrafts.
As you work on your commercial pilot job description, don’t forget to highlight the need for a pilot to be able to work as part of a team and have a commitment to safety. Use the following job description template to assist you as you craft your own.
Commercial Pilot Job Summary
If flying is your passion and you want to assist companies by providing them on-time and accurate deliveries via air, then you are who we need on our team. Our commercial airline is focused on providing the best service in the industry to our customers who are some of the biggest names in the business. We fly various cargo shipments around the United States with some flights outside of the country. You will be part of a dynamic and highly-trained crew. You should be experienced, dedicated and willing to do what it takes to ensure flights stay on schedule while maintaining safety. We reward our best pilots with a range of benefits that include excellent health insurance, paid time off and bonuses.
- Fly aircraft based upon set flight plans while adhering to a strict schedule
- Create flight plans based on client needs and aircraft availability along with managing the coordinating work schedules for crew, maintenance and other team members
- Conduct preflight safety checks and work closely with the flight crew and maintenance crew to ensure any issues are addressed before leaving the ground
- Monitor loading and unloading of cargo to ensure a balanced load and careful handling procedures
- Check weather conditions and monitor possible issues to ensure that the flight can proceed as scheduled or make alternative plans in the case of a weather delay
- Maintain safe flying conditions while in the air, including using instrumentation as needed to pilot the aircraft when weather conditions reduce visibility and responding to any in-air issues swiftly to correct them and maintain the flight path
- Manage and lead the flight crew during takeoff, landing and when in the air while also being responsible for their safety throughout the whole flight
- Track schedules to ensure on-time deliveries and coordinate as needed with clients for delivery of cargo
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Commercial pilot’s license
- Experience flying cross-country and at night
- At least 1,000 hours flying experience
- Valid passport
- Ability to pass criminal background check
- Military flight experience
- Bachelor’s degree in any field
Putting together a solid and strong commercial pilot job description is just your first step in the process to find the most qualified candidate for the job. You must now get this job description in front of those who are looking for work. You can begin with posting it to your own social media pages and website. You will then want to get it out there on as many job boards as possible.
Job boards are the modern classified ads. They are where people go to find jobs, so your job description needs to be on them. It can take a lot of time to post to each one individually, so instead, consider posting jobs for free using MightyRecruiter, giving you access to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter