A communications teacher usually works at a postsecondary institution teaching students about various areas of communications, which may include public relations, broadcasting and journalism. Teachers need to plan and coordinate lessons, assess students and do research in the field to stay up-to-date on new development.
In a communications teacher job description, there needs to be an emphasis on having a background in teaching and being an expert on the specific topic. Teachers need to be able to explain concepts in an easy to understand way, so written and verbal communication skills are essential. In addition, a good teacher has to know how to engage students.
Teachers must meet specific education requirements, which should be outlined in your communications teacher job description. Use the following example for guidance as you begin to construction your own.
Communications Teacher Job Summary
If helping prepare students to become successful is something you are passionate about, then you would be a great fit for our college. We are a medium-sized school focused on providing a high-quality education to every student. Personalized attention and tailored classes are our specialties. You will fit in nicely if you have expert knowledge of communications and a drive to stay current in your field. You will be provided with all the tools and support necessary to help you create a learning environment that will prepare tomorrow’s leaders in the communication industry. In addition, we offer a full benefits package, including paid time off and excellent health insurance.
- Create lesson plans, lectures, assignments and assessments based on various communications topics, such as media relations, television, broadcasting, radio and internet
- Deliver lectures, teach topics and encourage classroom discussions about the topics being covered in the course, which may include teaching in an online environment
- Evaluate student’s work and classroom participation to determine understanding and to provide feedback to help students be successful in the course
- Select materials to be used in classes, such as textbooks, handouts, websites and technical tools, along with creating materials and designing new ways to present information
- Collaborate with other faculty members to resolve teaching issues, assist with research and create new policies and procedures for the communications department
- Consult with students during office hours and as needed to offer assistance, tutoring and mentoring, along with providing vocational support
- Attend campus events, faculty meetings and other school-related activities to show support for students, assist with the creation of policies, address issues and show school spirit
- Maintain records, files and other reporting information as required by school policies and procedures
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in a communications-related field
- Teaching experience
- Proven expertise in the field of communications
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working with a diverse group of students
- Ph.D. in a communications-related field
- Experience teaching courses online
An engaging, thoughtful and professional communications teacher job description will help you attract the right type of candidates. However, creating the job description is the first step. You must also post it online to get it in front of the qualified candidates who need to see it. You can post it on your website and social media pages, but you also need to get it on job boards.
Job boards focus solely on providing job ads to those who are looking for work, and these are the people you need to connect with. You need to post on various boards, though, to get the best results. To accomplish this, consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free across several boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter