A community and social service specialist can provide a wide variety of social service resources for a number of different client populations. Examples of some of the resources that can be provided include education on how to attain a healthier lifestyle, policy changes to create greater access to dependent care and programs to combat substance abuse.
Tasks of the specialist can range from planning, organizing and administrating programs to implementing them directly with clients. When writing your community and social service specialist job description, keep in mind that the need for excellent written and verbal communication skills should be listed in the required area of the job description’s skill section.
Organization and time management skills are also essential in a position that must juggle changing client needs with administration tasks. Refer to this community and social service specialist job description to help focus the writing of your own job description.
Community and Social Service Specialist Job Summary
Do you pride yourself in being able to provide a high level of assistance to vulnerable persons in the community? If you do, you may be the perfect candidate for our new community and social service specialist position at Smithfield County’s social service department. The individual in this specialist position will assist licensed social workers in the planning, organization and implementation of community services focused on clients who have recently completed an addiction recovery program. The goal is to ease clients’ transitions back into the community and lower the rate of substance abuse relapse. Basic components of the services will include coordination of supportive resources, group therapy and ongoing rehabilitation. Apply for this position and make a positive difference in Smithfield County.
- Communicate with a wide range of individuals in the community of all ages, cultures and socio-economic statuses in order to best meet individuals’ needs
- Assist licensed social workers in determining needs of clients then developing and implementing a client care plan, making sure services are fully coordinated
- Support healthy lifestyles for clients through education and group therapy efforts, coordinating with outside agencies when necessary
- Research and recommend additional community services that will support clients as they continue to rehabilitate from substance abuse in order to lower the substance abuse recidivism rate
- Research services, such as food stamps and Medicaid, that are available to their clients in their communities and assist clients in completing application paperwork for services
- Occasionally transport clients to appointments in the community, serving as an advocate when necessary
- Execute documentation of all points of the care plan, actions taken and resources provided per documentation guidelines
- Ensure proper delivery of services to all clients on caseload
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Compassion for at-risk individuals in the community
- Baccalaureate degree in social work or a related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Valid driver’s license
- Prior experience in addiction treatment related services
- Knowledge of group therapy techniques
Community and Social Service Specialist Job Responsibilities
Finding new talent to join your team is a tough job. Ideally, you should have a clear and detailed job description. The most substantial part of the community and social service specialist job description is the list of responsibilities. It’s essential to carefully write this section with the most accurate details related to your specific industry and company. Doing so can help you and your team find someone who is ideal for the position.
Job applicants want to see a succinct list of responsibilities in a bulleted format for easier comprehension in a community and social service specialist job description. You should include at least six details from the job so the candidate can truly understand what the job entails. However, keep your list limited to eight duties instead of writing about every possible task this person may perform. Use action verbs for best results and true understanding.
Here are some possible community and social service specialist job responsibilities you could include:
- Collaborate with outreach personnel, social service workers and the department chairperson to develop goals to benefit individuals and families in the region
- Follow the treatment plan for an individual, as prepared by a social worker or other professional, to assist in a daily routine
- Provide transportation services to clients by driving them to and from appointments, shopping and social outings
- Find information about possible services for clients by conducting research about housing help, medical assistance and therapeutic services
Community and Social Service Specialist Job Specifications
You can further fine-tune your community and social service specialist job description by detailing the ideal qualifications and skills you want from a candidate. In most effective job postings, the company provides information about the required education level and experience amount. Candidates can then make a decision about whether they should apply if they meet the basic job requirements. This also benefits hiring managers by reducing the number of underqualified applicants.
Another part of the qualifications and skills component of the community and social service specialist job description is a list of soft skills. Soft skills are more general attributes that aren’t as easy to define or prove. As you review what the job entails, you and your team can determine the essential soft skills someone needs to have to excel in this role. In some cases, these aptitudes could be part of the preferred section of your list of skills and qualifications.
Here are some ideas for your community and social service specialist job specifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in social work, sociology or a related field, or at least three years of experience
- Compassion and a desire to help others
- Strong communication skills and excellent interpersonal ability
- Exceptional time management and top attention to detail