Compliance officers look at documents and work activities in a department to check that everything meets local and national legal requirements. Since this varies depending on the department, daily activities may change from one day to the next. In a compliance officer job description, be sure to specify the kind of compliance needed.
Compliance requires a keen attention to detail and organizational skills. Communication is also important, whether among peers or subordinates. Some compliance positions include auditing, which requires basic math skills.
Compliance officers also write reports and keep track of compliance over time. This requires an understanding of basic computer software suites and the ability to compute any necessary metrics. Refer to the compliance officer job description below to see which required skills you should include in your own description.
Compliance Officer Job Summary
Our compliance officers are an important part of keeping daily and long-term business practices well within current legal and regulatory standards. By joining our compliance team, you will take part in updating and implementing our Corporate Compliance Program, a multi-part document that covers all departments. The oversight you provide is key to helping everything run smoothly, and that includes generating periodic reports and giving the appropriate feedback when requested by headquarters and local regulatory groups. Your reports will also be used when designing new best-practices companywide. With the right experience and background, you can become a valued member of our compliance team.
- Oversee and inspect a variety of employee activities on a daily basis in multiple departments to ascertain level of compliance and whether tools need repair
- Record observed activities with notes detailed enough to later create a full report about compliance level
- Organize and maintain detailed records of individual and group activities pertaining to company compliance in a format that is easy to access and read
- Perform periodic audits of companywide activities with rated scores to be entered and stored digitally
- Provide regular recommendations for training, retraining, new equipment and devising a schedule for maintaining high levels of compliance
- Research local ordinances and stay up-to-date in legal matters pertaining to compliance and auditing
- Read and interoperate new local and national laws when they are made to discern where they apply to company activities
- Work in partnership with local regulatory organizations to ensure proper reports are being made and actionable items handled
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, auditing or a related field
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Experience with office suites including databases
- Four years of experience in financial auditing
A compliance officer job description must be tailored to the needs of your company. To find the kind of talent your company craves, you need a job description that is attractive to today’s professional and with enough detail to separate the wheat from the chaff.
It is important that your job description be visible in a variety of places, including social media and free job boards. You can use social media to advertise the opening and get employees in this particular department to do the same. Use this job description as a template for making your own description and pay special attention to the sort of traits you desire in this new employee. And try using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free and get your job description out to a wide audience.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter