Computer and information research scientists look into and resolve the complex computer problems that plague business, medicine, science and other industries. They are the people tasked with designing and inventing new technology or innovating existing technology already in place.
Education is important to this line of work, and your computer and information research scientist job description must list the required post-graduate degree, which is most likely a Ph.D. or equivalent. The degree should be in a computer-related field, e.g. computer science or information technology.
Advanced analytical and critical-thinking skills are also crucial to this job, as are ingenuity and logic. As with all computer-related vocations, strength in mathematics in important, and your ideal candidate will be detail oriented and a fantastic communicator. Please review the computer and information research scientist job description below for an idea of how to approach your write-up.
Computer and Information Research Scientist Job Summary
We have a job opening for a computer and information research scientist guru. You are a guru if you love to research and then design, invent or theorize computer and information science. If we have a problem with our hardware or software, you’ll present the solution, and, yes, we will love you forever for it. We will call you “Doctor Guru” because you have a Ph.D. in a computer-related science, and you will wear the moniker proudly as you make the difference in how we interact with our computerized equipment. Notice we said make “the” difference — your role will be integral to our operations; as such, you will be integral to our operations.
- Analyze all computer hardware and software to isolate problems and develop solutions to those problems daily; propose new computer hardware and software acquisitions based on company needs
- Evaluate proposals and planned projects to assess any issues, determine feasibility and make recommendations based on research and expertise when needed
- Break down accepted project deliverables and assign tasks to appropriate personnel
- Schedule tasks in accordance with project goals and work priorities, and ensure all personnel complete assigned deliverables on time
- Meet with all company personnel and outside vendors to discuss computer requirements and/or existing or anticipated issues when needed
- Use theoretical expertise to research, innovate and redesign current technology to resolve existing or anticipated issues, and to design new technology if the current technology is determined insufficient for the company’s needs
- Hire and train direct subordinates and develop the organizational policies and procedures, performance standards and evaluation standards under which they are bound
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Ph.D. or professional degree in computer science-related study
- Advanced analytical, critical-thinking, innovative, mathematical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced computer hardware and software experience
- Ability to communicate well with persons both in-house and externally
- Five or more years’ experience in similar role
- Previous supervisor/management experience
After you have written your computer and information research scientist job description, get the word out about your job opening by utilizing the World Wide Web. You should list your opening on your company website and social media platforms, and you should also tell potential candidates about it by joining the discussion in the technical job forums.
Expand your outreach even further by posting your position on technical job boards and in online periodicals. You should also use some traditional marketing mediums, such as print newspapers and periodicals. Finally, get the word out to hundreds of job boards at one time when you post jobs for free through the comprehensive and powerful MightyRecruiter interface.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter