A computer hardware engineer performs many different tasks relating to the physical components of computers, including research, development and testing. Many engineers work in a laboratory setting to develop upgrades for processors, circuitry and network hardware, and to advance computer technology and operational capabilities.
One of the most important parts of a computer hardware engineer job description is a list of required education and work experience in fields such as computer engineering, electrical engineering and programming. Engineers should display a deep understanding of math and science concepts, and be able to explain complex information in a way nontechnical personnel can understand.
A computer hardware engineer must possess exceptional analytical and critical-thinking abilities, as well as creative problem-solving skills to develop workable solutions to meet project requirements. To learn more about what to include in a computer hardware engineer job description, read through the example below.
Computer Hardware Engineer Job Summary
If you’re looking for a career in a fast-paced environment and are ready to meet daily challenges with innovative problem-solving and forward-thinking solutions, join our team as a computer hardware engineer. We are passionate about developing the technology that will form the foundation of humanity’s future, including computer systems that will enable our exploration of the solar system and beyond. You will participate in all phases of the design process and have the chance to use your creativity to develop, test, modify and manufacture new technologies. We encourage teamwork and a high level of technical proficiency, so we offer excellent compensation and benefits as well as numerous opportunities for career development and continuing education.
- Design and test new computer hardware and equipment to meet customer specifications or in-house project requirements, and participate in all aspects of development from initial planning to production
- Analyze design plans and project requirement data to create comprehensive testing procedures to verify that components and features operate correctly and meet operational benchmarks
- Coordinate with developers, project managers, engineering teams and quality assurance personnel to resolve technical issues during development, testing and production
- Test existing hardware components, including processors, circuit boards and network equipment, to define operational parameters and recommend necessary upgrades and replacements to meet current and future performance standards
- Oversee manufacturing and production of new hardware, including development of operational prototypes, to verify compliance with design plans and testing procedures
- Maintain professional knowledge base of computer engineering trends and technological advances by reading industry publications, attending tradeshows and conferences and pursuing professional education
- Ensure new hardware systems and equipment work correctly with computer software programs according to performance requirements, and modify hardware as necessary to address errors and other concerns
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in hardware or circuit design
- Self-motivated with exceptional critical thinking and analytical abilities
- Strong communications skills
- Innovative, results-oriented problem solver
- Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering
A successful hiring campaign requires a well-written job description along with a comprehensive strategy for posting it where the largest pool of high-quality candidates can see it. Once you’ve finalized your computer hardware engineer job description, it’s time to decide where to post it.
Many recruiters find that posting a job description in multiple places generates a good amount of interest from qualified jobseekers. There are numerous posting options available, including free job boards, paid online job sites, official company web pages and professional social networks. Placing a listing on numerous sites can take a lot of time since there are often different formatting requirements and documents to fill out prior to posting your listing. The most efficient way to post to free job boards is to allow MightyRecruiter to post to hundreds of boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter