A computer hardware engineer performs many different tasks relating to the physical components of computers, including research, development and testing. Many engineers work in a laboratory setting to develop upgrades for processors, circuitry and network hardware, and to advance computer technology and operational capabilities.
One of the most important parts of a computer hardware engineer job description is a list of required education and work experience in fields such as computer engineering, electrical engineering and programming. Engineers should display a deep understanding of math and science concepts, and be able to explain complex information in a way nontechnical personnel can understand.
A computer hardware engineer must possess exceptional analytical and critical-thinking abilities, as well as creative problem-solving skills to develop workable solutions to meet project requirements. To learn more about what to include in a computer hardware engineer job description, read through the example below.
Computer Hardware Engineer Job Summary
If you’re looking for a career in a fast-paced environment and are ready to meet daily challenges with innovative problem-solving and forward-thinking solutions, join our team as a computer hardware engineer. We are passionate about developing the technology that will form the foundation of humanity’s future, including computer systems that will enable our exploration of the solar system and beyond. You will participate in all phases of the design process and have the chance to use your creativity to develop, test, modify and manufacture new technologies. We encourage teamwork and a high level of technical proficiency, so we offer excellent compensation and benefits as well as numerous opportunities for career development and continuing education.
- Design and test new computer hardware and equipment to meet customer specifications or in-house project requirements, and participate in all aspects of development from initial planning to production
- Analyze design plans and project requirement data to create comprehensive testing procedures to verify that components and features operate correctly and meet operational benchmarks
- Coordinate with developers, project managers, engineering teams and quality assurance personnel to resolve technical issues during development, testing and production
- Test existing hardware components, including processors, circuit boards and network equipment, to define operational parameters and recommend necessary upgrades and replacements to meet current and future performance standards
- Oversee manufacturing and production of new hardware, including development of operational prototypes, to verify compliance with design plans and testing procedures
- Maintain professional knowledge base of computer engineering trends and technological advances by reading industry publications, attending tradeshows and conferences and pursuing professional education
- Ensure new hardware systems and equipment work correctly with computer software programs according to performance requirements, and modify hardware as necessary to address errors and other concerns
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in hardware or circuit design
- Self-motivated with exceptional critical thinking and analytical abilities
- Strong communications skills
- Innovative, results-oriented problem solver
- Master’s degree in computer or electrical engineering
Want to use this job description?
Computer Hardware Engineer Job Responsibilities
Because the job responsibilities section shares essential duties required for the position, it should be the meatiest section of your computer hardware engineer job description. This section is the point at which jobseekers determine whether they are capable of fulfilling the role – and the point where applicants may gauge interest in the job – so it is important that you create this section as clearly and accurately as possible.
To echo some of the tips provided on this page, you’ll want to list your job responsibilities in an accessible and reader-friendly fashion. Applicants can use this section as a checklist, so bullet points are ideal. Start each bullet point with a lively action verb, and try to remain within the 6-8 bullet point range for each computer hardware engineer job description. It’s important that you list all of the necessary responsibilities of the job, but try to avoid dominating this section with too many details.
Here are some examples of computer hardware engineer job responsibilities:
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and determine the type of tools needed for repair
- Control operations of equipment and systems
- Generate equipment and technology to serve user needs
- Write computer programs for various purposes
- Conduct tests and inspections of products, services or processes to evaluate quality and performance
- Troubleshoot causes of operating errors
Computer Hardware Engineer Job Specifications
Giving the rundown of your job listing may initially seem a breeze. It offers applicants the basics, so why pause on specifications any further? It is important, however, to give your computer hardware engineer job description careful thought, as it can be a deal-breaker when determining which applicants are actually qualified for the job.
An inbox overloaded with unqualified applicants is the exact opposite of what you’ll want to see upon posting your job opening, so make sure to explain your computer hardware engineer job description as precisely as possible. Think critically about certain aspects of the job that may seem confusing to those unfamiliar with the exact requirements.
Try drafting a list of the most important skills needed for the computer hardware engineer position. You’ll find that some, of course, are more vital than others, so list them accordingly in this section. Are the abilities to operate equipment and troubleshoot issues the most crucial skills needed? Every job has its own unique demands, so don’t underestimate the particulars of this section.
Below, you’ll find some examples of computer hardware engineer job specifications you can include:
- Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips and other electronic equipment
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 3 years of experience working in hardware engineering
- Active learning and critical thinking skills
- Strong work ethic