Computer network architects are typically responsible for the planning, design and creation of corporate networks, information systems and servers. Their responsibilities may also include the operation of these systems, but it is more common for them to be dedicated to increasing efficiency, recommending and implementing upgrades and researching new developing technologies.
Your computer network architect job description should emphasize computer science knowledge and skills first and foremost. It is vital that any candidates you consider be fully trained with computer hardware and software.
Other attributes you should include on your job description include analytical skills organization, attention to small details and minor communication skills. These are all secondary requirements for computer network professionals, so you can include the attributes that are most important for your unique job opening. The following computer network architect job description shows how you can emphasize these requirements as effectively as possible.
Computer Network Architect Job Summary
If you are looking to use your computer science knowledge to make a real difference, consider joining our computer network architect team. Our engineers are responsible for creating information, networking and server systems to aid the daily operations of our corporation. You will help keep information flowing efficiently. The dynamic team of network architects works together to design and plan the computer systems. In addition to a firm foundation in computer science, you must have excellent communication and collaboration skills, as well as be organized and analytical. After initial setup is complete, you will maintain and upgrade the system as needed, meaning you must be able to evaluate its effectiveness.
- Collaborate with other engineers to create plans for implementing new computer network technologies, following specific requirements
- Design the computer system or network, creating a blueprint and carefully detailing all aspects of its design
- Oversee the creation of new computer systems, ensuring the blueprints are followed closely and taking part in the construction process
- Perform daily tests to gauge the effectiveness of the computer system, identifying areas in need of improvement and issues that slow the system down and making recommendations for upgrades
- Perform research on new technologies as they are developed to determine if they would be beneficial to be implanted in our systems
- Create reports on server performance and potential new technology, presenting this information in front of a board of department heads, making recommendations for new strategies
- Implement information security principals when creating and designing information systems in order to keep all classified and sensitive information secure
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer engineering or other related field
- Minimum of five years’ working experience in IT
- Fluent in multiple programming languages or working experience as a programmer
- Cisco and VMware certification
Computer Network Architect Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of a computer network architect job description is where employers inform potential applicants about an advertised position. You might start by describing the tasks that an employee in this role will perform on a daily basis and suggest how he or she would help the company achieve broader goals. A solid description of responsibilities can encourage qualified jobseekers to apply for this position and weed out unqualified applicants.
These responsibilities will likely be the most substantial part of a computer network architect job description, but you may receive better responses to a job ad if you keep these requirements accessible. Organize the tasks and objectives related to this position into a list of no more than 6-8 items formatted with bullet points. Start each line with an action verb to emphasize the agency of the employee who will fill this role.
The following are examples of computer network architect job responsibilities:
- Build and maintain secure business networks optimized for performance
- Configure software and hardware on systems and networks to support the specific needs of a company
- Design and implement appropriate information storage models
- Increase network scale and functionality to keep pace with growth
- Organize training sessions for information technology department and other employees
Computer Network Architect Job Specifications
Increase the likelihood of receiving competitive applications for an open position by carefully crafting the list of required skills in your computer network architect job description. It is a good idea to set forth the minimum requirements and then provide a few preferred qualifications that could set an exceptional applicant apart.
Make sure all of the listed requirements correspond to a candidate’s prospects for success in this position. Work with other computer network or information technology professionals at your company to ensure that the skills you list in the computer network architect job description fill gaps in the existing staffing structure.
Distinguishing baseline qualifications from preferred skills can keep this listing from discouraging qualified applicants who might have equivalent or other useful kinds of experience or training. You should be clear about both categories of skills in order to encourage jobseekers to describe their most relevant skills clearly on their resume.
Here are a few computer network architect job specifications that you might consider:
- Expert enterprise user with certifications in major network administration software and utilities
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area with at least 3 years of experience; master’s degree preferred
- Background in network security measures including audits, probes and firewalls
- Experience implementing and maintaining networks for an organization of similar size