Computer network support specialists help IT departments by testing and evaluating existing networks, maintaining existing networks and troubleshooting LAN and WAN networks. They also troubleshoot internet systems. These specialists help non-IT personnel with computer problems.
When discussing education requirements on your computer network support specialist job description, be specific, as this vocation offers entry-level positions to those with an associate degree and more advanced positions to those with a bachelor’s degree. Communication skills are necessary for this position, as the specialist will work in a computer support capacity with all company personnel.
The most important skill is the ability to solve problems that can often be mystifying and frustrating. The ability to analyze a network issue, no matter how complex, and then resolve it is a definite must. View the sample computer network support specialist job description below for additional guidance.
Computer Network Support Specialist Job Summary
Are you the Indiana Jones of computer network support specialists who can guide us to the Holy Grail: a fast and reliable business network? Do your friends ask you to stop analyzing everything? Are you an expert in evaluating existing network systems and making recommendations to improve them? Do you thrive at the challenge of building a local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) that laughs at attempted interruptions? Then we need you. Your expertise in analyzing, maintaining, testing and troubleshooting network and internet systems will be invaluable to our operations. You know this technical stuff; we don’t.
- Analyze, design, build and configure local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN), including installation of network software, firewalls and security settings for all network endpoints to support business growth
- Configure LAN and WAN routers and all related equipment when new systems needed
- Set up desktop computer equipment and install all network and system software, including operating systems and user software packages for new employees
- Set up new users on LAN and/or WAN networks, provide access permissions to approved groups and configure security settings for new employees
- Maintain and back up all networks, including hardware and software updates daily to keep systems running efficiently
- Troubleshoot and indentify daily LAN and WAN network issues, including at the user and user group level, to ensure minimal connectivity problems and outage
- Analyze all attempted or successful network security breaches daily to determine breach cause, resolve related issues and secure network to prevent future infiltration
- Evaluate and document LAN and WAN data to ensure networks are performing at peak capacity and suggest solutions to improve performance and mitigate disaster
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Associate degree
- Three years remote access, network and computer server experience
- Network software experience, e.g. Cisco Systems, Hewlett-Packard, SolarWinds
- Monitoring, Security and OS Software experience, e.g. Cisco Systems, IBM, Apple, BlackBerry Enterprise, McAfee
- Bachelor’s degree
- Previous IT help desk experience
- Previous hardware and software testing experience
You’re recruiting computer technicians, so make certain you reach them via the numerous platforms available on the Information Superhighway. Your potential candidates will not find your computer network support specialist job description if you don’t post it on your website, your social media platforms, technical job recruiting websites and technical job forums.
Don’t panic. This isn’t as expensive as it sounds. Many of these resources are free, including your social media platforms and the technical job forums, so you can get involved in the IT conversations online to lure qualified candidates to the application page on your website. Don’t forget to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards through MightyRecruiter as well.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter