Computer programmers complete many of the duties involved in creating computer software, including writing code for a program, testing it and fixing inaccuracies and issues by debugging. The software programmers create can vary greatly. Sometimes programmer duties encompass software developer duties, and they work in designing the programs in addition to just creating the code.
Skills that should be included in a computer programmer job description include a mix of specific competencies and more general personality traits. For instance, computer programmers need to be adept at writing code and have a strong understanding of necessary computer languages. They also need to have the focus and dedication necessary to work for long periods of time to code and debug programs.
That’s just a quick overview of what computer programmers do. Read the computer programmer job description below for more information on what kind of skills and duties to include.
Computer Programmer Job Summary
We don’t want just any candidate for this computer programmer position; we want the very best individual with all the right technical skills and personality traits. Work with our team and you’ll be an integral part of creating innovative software and applications that benefit people and companies all over the world. We’re searching for someone who’s a whiz at creating and testing code and is ready to take on a new challenge. Are you not only a great coder but also a detail-oriented professional able to create flawless work? Are you independent but equally good at working as part of a team? Are you always striving for better? You may be just the employee we need.
- Create code for, test and edit computer programs as needed
- Ensure that programs work correctly on multiple different browsers and make any necessary modifications if they do not work correctly
- Test programs before fully releasing them to make sure there are no bugs and that the programs work as expected and intended
- Fix programs as necessary if any malfunctions or errors occur and follow up with any necessary tests to make sure that issues have been correctly remedied
- Consult with software engineers and managers to ensure that the code involved with a program matches the intention of the program’s design
- Keep programs updated and maintain detailed records of what updates have been completed and what elements they include
- Document your processes and the steps you took to create the program, adding any applicable notes for others to be able to interpret
- Create charts that show the workflow of the program
- Research topics related to innovative software and best practices to help suggest improvements for company
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree at reputable university in a discipline related to computer programming or development of software
- Experience creating and testing code for a large company
- Extreme attention to detail and concentration skills
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable meeting strict deadlines
- Minimum of one programming/development-related certification
Want to use this job description?
Computer Programmer Job Responsibilities
You’re not looking for just any candidate for your company’s computer programming position; you need the right candidate, one who is qualified, enthusiastic and ready to perform all the aspects of the job. This is why the responsibilities section of your computer programmer job description is so important. Creating a laundry list of all daily tasks or writing up generic bullet points discussing the position won’t provide jobseekers enough information to understand your expectations.
On the other hand, a well-written, focused responsibilities section in your computer programmer job description not only helps candidates know what level of expertise they need to bring to the position, it also helps them understand how their work will contribute to the company as a whole. To create an effective job responsibilities section, use concise, easy-to-read bullet points and limit your list to the core duties of the position: those unique to computer programmers in your organization.
For help creating your own list, take a look at these computer programmer job responsibilities
- Oversee entire life cycle of computer programming projects, including development, analysis, testing and implementation
- Develop, test and modify programs in a variety of languages to meet project objectives
- Collaborate with clients, software development personnel and senior managers to verify requirements and goals
- Create thorough documentation of design specifications and testing results for presentation to developers, project managers and/or end users
Computer Programmer Job Specifications
Though it’s generally shorter, the qualifications and skills section of your computer programmer job description is just as important as the responsibilities section. Don’t make this section overwhelmingly long by including too many bullet points, but don’t limit yourself to an unhelpful list of generic education and skills requirements. An ideal section provides candidates with a clear understanding of the knowledge and abilities you require for the position: those that will ensure success on a daily basis. This sort of list can help reduce the number of applications you get from candidates who are under-qualified or overly accomplished.
One of the best things to do is divide your list into two sets of skills: required and preferred. Think about the qualifications the candidate truly needs to succeed as your company’s computer programmer, and prioritize both sets from most to least important. You may want to have a project manager look over the list to make sure it’s complete before adding it to your computer programmer job description.
Get a head start on your own list by reading through these computer programmer job specifications: