Computer programmers complete many of the duties involved in creating computer software, including writing code for a program, testing it and fixing inaccuracies and issues by debugging. The software programmers create can vary greatly. Sometimes programmer duties encompass software developer duties, and they work in designing the programs in addition to just creating the code.
Skills that should be included in a computer programmer job description include a mix of specific competencies and more general personality traits. For instance, computer programmers need to be adept at writing code and have a strong understanding of necessary computer languages. They also need to have the focus and dedication necessary to work for long periods of time to code and debug programs.
That’s just a quick overview of what computer programmers do. Read the computer programmer job description below for more information on what kind of skills and duties to include.
Computer Programmer Job Summary
We don’t want just any candidate for this computer programmer position; we want the very best individual with all the right technical skills and personality traits. Work with our team and you’ll be an integral part of creating innovative software and applications that benefit people and companies all over the world. We’re searching for someone who’s a whiz at creating and testing code and is ready to take on a new challenge. Are you not only a great coder but also a detail-oriented professional able to create flawless work? Are you independent but equally good at working as part of a team? Are you always striving for better? You may be just the employee we need.
- Create code for, test and edit computer programs as needed
- Ensure that programs work correctly on multiple different browsers and make any necessary modifications if they do not work correctly
- Test programs before fully releasing them to make sure there are no bugs and that the programs work as expected and intended
- Fix programs as necessary if any malfunctions or errors occur and follow up with any necessary tests to make sure that issues have been correctly remedied
- Consult with software engineers and managers to ensure that the code involved with a program matches the intention of the program’s design
- Keep programs updated and maintain detailed records of what updates have been completed and what elements they include
- Document your processes and the steps you took to create the program, adding any applicable notes for others to be able to interpret
- Create charts that show the workflow of the program
- Research topics related to innovative software and best practices to help suggest improvements for company
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree at reputable university in a discipline related to computer programming or development of software
- Experience creating and testing code for a large company
- Extreme attention to detail and concentration skills
- Ability to work independently
- Comfortable meeting strict deadlines
- Minimum of one programming/development-related certification
Hiring employees for your company can be a time-consuming task, from identifying the need to creating the job description to promoting that description in the right places. Creating your computer programmer job description is an important part of the process and can affect the quality of the candidates you get, but your work is far from done after you’ve finished writing this document. Knowing where and how to post job descriptions so they get maximum exposure is truly key to finding those rockstar computer programmers. However, posting jobs can require a big investment of your time.
In order to reach people, you’ll want to get your job posting on as many boards as possible. You can post to free job boards with MightyRecruiter and get listed in hundreds of online locations. It’s the clear choice for recruiters and hiring managers who want to make the most out of their job descriptions.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter