Computer science teachers instruct students on the proper use of computer technologies at the post-secondary level (i.e., colleges, universities or technical schools). Their teaching curriculum may range from computer design and development to the use of different data management applications. As academics, they may also participate in funded research to either help create new technologies or develop updated teaching methods.
The computer science teacher job description shown below demonstrates the skills you should be looking for in your ideal candidate. First and foremost, he or she should have an expert-level understanding of computer hardware and software, gained from both academic studies and professional experience.
Beyond that, he or she must also demonstrate excellent communication skills if he or she is to succeed in teaching complex principles to students. Review the computer science teacher job description template to understand the professional attributes that should be your highest priority.
Computer Science Teacher Job Summary
Given the level of personal and professional dependence we have on computer technology, computer literacy has become almost important as being able to read and write. Yet, almost a quarter of the American population lacks sufficient computer skills. You can help change that. As a computer science professor in our applied technology department, you’ll help to build upon the basic skills our students have already acquired. This position will allow you to prepare tomorrow’s working professionals by teaching them how to use the applications available through the Microsoft Office suite. You’ll also have the chance to instruct students interested in pursuing careers in computer technology, advanced programming languages and techniques. Plus, under the direction of our department chair, you’ll have the opportunity to contribute your skills to groundbreaking research.
- Teach introductory computer technology and data management applications courses to underclassmen as part of university’s general education core curriculum
- Participate with other department faculty members in offering advanced computer science courses to students pursuing bachelor’s degrees in fields related to computer and information technology
- Instruct and mentor individual applied technology and computer science majors as they work their way through each departments’ undergraduate programs
- Assist department staff in managing and maintaining the university’s main computer lab, working rotating shifts to ensure it remains open for students during both day and evening hours
- Coordinate with faculty as well as outside personnel in discussing research opportunities, and represent department in requesting funding from university finance department and private donors
- Develop curriculum to be used by department staff and to be published and shared with other academic institutions
- Work with department chair as well as university admissions department annually to arrange class schedules for each academic semester
- Maintain regular office hours during the academic semester to be available to meet with students individually when needed
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Doctoral degree in computer science or a related field
- Minimum of five years of experience working in software development, program coding, network administration or data warehousing
- Demonstrated public speaking and communication skills
- Previous teaching experience (at any academic level)
- Willingness to travel to other universities as part of research fellowship
Using the computer science teacher job description template provided to create your own job listing only gets you halfway to making the right hire. You then need to present it to a large enough pool of applicants in order to net the ideal candidate. Participating in technology conferences may be an effective way of networking with professionals and professors looking for new opportunities.
There may be plenty of people out there actively seeking new employment opportunities online while still working for other organizations. Posting your listing to online job boards can help put you in contact with them. However, with hundreds of such sites out there, knowing which give you the best opportunities to align with qualified candidates can be difficult. That’s where services like MightyRecruiter come in. They’ll help you extend your search by giving you access to countless resources offering free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter