A computer systems administrator provides support for a company’s computer infrastructure by developing and maintaining networks, equipment, hardware and software. These experts create networks to meet requirements, adjust existing infrastructure to optimize performance and maintain security protocols to protect data from unauthorized access.
Relevant computer skills should form the basis of your computer systems administrator job description, including experience with any specific programs your company uses. Additionally, computer systems administrators should display effective problem-solving and analytical abilities to quickly identify requirements and problems and develop workable solutions.
In many cases, systems administrators will need to explain complex information to non-technical personnel, so you should include excellent communications skills in your list of requirements. Look at the computer systems administrator job description template included here to get a sense of how to write your own posting.
Computer Systems Administrator Job Summary
If you’re a self-starter with a passion for computers and a desire to work in a challenging, hands-on environment, join our team as a computer systems administrator. We are looking for the right person to oversee our entire network and play an active role in improving our infrastructure to meet current and future demands. You’ll have a chance to contribute directly to our company’s mission by developing network architecture and innovating solutions to address new challenges. If you want to keep your problem-solving skills sharp and enjoy the freedom of working autonomously, this is the position for you. We know how important our systems administrator is to our company’s success, and we reward dedicated performance with excellent pay and competitive benefits.
- Determine new network and computer system requirements to meet changes in company operations as needed, and develop feasible plan to install and maintain required hardware and software
- Acquire and install equipment, hardware and software as needed to meet operational requirements and maintain all network and computer systems by performing necessary repairs and upgrades
- Monitor all company networks daily and evaluate operational performance, security status and error reports by collecting data from automated responses, proactive queries and end-user reports
- Analyze security issues, performance metrics and operational efficiency to determine underlying causes and address them effectively
- Manage database of active users and update access permissions and security protocols as necessary to enable employees to work effectively without compromising safety and performance of networks and servers
- Develop training materials and courses when necessary to teach users how to access, operate and maintain hardware and software, and communicate technical information through group presentations and individual instruction
- Provide support to executives during annual budgetary planning by discussing status of current network infrastructure and recommending equipment upgrade to meet performance and security requirements
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline
- Expert-level knowledge of Windows and LINUX operating systems
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Able to physically lift and transport cabling, computers and other hardware
- Master’s degree or professional certifications
- Proficiency with SQL and other server applications
Finding the best candidates for your company’s job opening is a two-fold issue consisting of writing an attractive computer systems administrator job description and finding the best places to post it. You want to place it in areas where the most qualified and motivated jobseekers will have the greatest chance of seeing it.
Between free online job boards, paid job sites and professional social networks, there are numerous options for posting your ad. You may even want to add it to your company’s official website and create a referral process for current employees to recommend qualified candidates. It can take a while to work through all these options, so increase the efficiency of the whole process by using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter