A computer systems administrator provides support for a company’s computer infrastructure by developing and maintaining networks, equipment, hardware and software. These experts create networks to meet requirements, adjust existing infrastructure to optimize performance and maintain security protocols to protect data from unauthorized access.
Relevant computer skills should form the basis of your computer systems administrator job description, including experience with any specific programs your company uses. Additionally, computer systems administrators should display effective problem-solving and analytical abilities to quickly identify requirements and problems and develop workable solutions.
In many cases, systems administrators will need to explain complex information to non-technical personnel, so you should include excellent communications skills in your list of requirements. Look at the computer systems administrator job description template included here to get a sense of how to write your own posting.
Computer Systems Administrator Job Summary
If you’re a self-starter with a passion for computers and a desire to work in a challenging, hands-on environment, join our team as a computer systems administrator. We are looking for the right person to oversee our entire network and play an active role in improving our infrastructure to meet current and future demands. You’ll have a chance to contribute directly to our company’s mission by developing network architecture and innovating solutions to address new challenges. If you want to keep your problem-solving skills sharp and enjoy the freedom of working autonomously, this is the position for you. We know how important our systems administrator is to our company’s success, and we reward dedicated performance with excellent pay and competitive benefits.
- Determine new network and computer system requirements to meet changes in company operations as needed, and develop feasible plan to install and maintain required hardware and software
- Acquire and install equipment, hardware and software as needed to meet operational requirements and maintain all network and computer systems by performing necessary repairs and upgrades
- Monitor all company networks daily and evaluate operational performance, security status and error reports by collecting data from automated responses, proactive queries and end-user reports
- Analyze security issues, performance metrics and operational efficiency to determine underlying causes and address them effectively
- Manage database of active users and update access permissions and security protocols as necessary to enable employees to work effectively without compromising safety and performance of networks and servers
- Develop training materials and courses when necessary to teach users how to access, operate and maintain hardware and software, and communicate technical information through group presentations and individual instruction
- Provide support to executives during annual budgetary planning by discussing status of current network infrastructure and recommending equipment upgrade to meet performance and security requirements
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline
- Expert-level knowledge of Windows and LINUX operating systems
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Able to physically lift and transport cabling, computers and other hardware
- Master’s degree or professional certifications
- Proficiency with SQL and other server applications
Want to use this job description?
Computer Systems Administrator Job Responsibilities
In your computer systems administrator job description, your job responsibilities section helps jobseekers picture the goals, expectations and daily duties that accompany the position. Avoid wasting time in the future weeding out unqualified applicants by creating a strong and specific list of the job’s most essential responsibilities so candidates can better determine if they are qualified.
While you do want a detailed, specific and thorough job responsibilities section, don’t make it an extensive laundry list of every last duty and task that come with the position. Focus on key responsibilities and specialized areas, using between 6-8 bullet points so your computer systems administrator job description is simple to read and understand. Don’t forget to use clear language and begin each description with an action verb to paint a clear picture of the position.
Use the following examples of computer systems administrator job responsibilities to help you create your own list.
- Monitor the operations and performance of computer software, hardware and other systems on a regular basis
- Deliver immediate technical support to users experiencing operational or security problems
- Implement data backups, security software and necessary system upgrades and repairs as needed
- Install and test all new systems and equipment, and train users on appropriate use
Computer Systems Administrator Job Specifications
Avoid the temptation of underestimating the importance of a strong qualifications and skills section in your computer systems administrator job description. It may be a short and concise list, but it is a key filtering tool to the hiring process as it helps ensure unqualified candidates do not apply. To prevent confusion, list every specific minimum requirement of the job.
Be careful not to overlook any important aspect of the job. Consider how much education and experience the candidate realistically needs to succeed in the position. Include technical and specialized skillsets, and don’t forget about relevant soft skills, such as communication or time management. Talk to your hiring manager or someone who holds the same position before you write this part of your computer systems administrator job description to gain a thorough understanding of what the position requires, and separate “necessary” requirements from “preferred” qualifications.
As you construct this section, consider the computer systems administrator job specifications below:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar field
- Proven experience in a computer systems administrator position
- Expertise in computer systems, software and frameworks
- Strong communication, problem solving and multitasking skills
- Capable of critically analyzing and producing solutions quickly
- Ability to occasionally provide technical support to clients after regular business hours