Computer system analysts are professionals responsible for overseeing and evaluating the technology processes in any company. They must analyze current and potential systems to determine the best way to maximize efficiency. They usually create reports for management in order to aid their decisions and may also present their reports to superiors.
The most important quality for computer systems analysts to have is analytical skills. It is essential to their job that any new hires demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking and deductive reasoning to create information from a situation. In addition to analytical skills, you should mention creativity on your computer systems analyst job description.
Secondarily, successful computer systems analysts will have strong communication skills for relaying the information they discover to others. The following computer systems analyst job description template will show you the best way to emphasize these qualities on your own job description.
Computer Systems Analyst Job Summary
Put your impressive computer skills to good use by entering the exciting position of computer systems analyst. We are looking for a candidate who combines excellent computer science experience, an analytical mind and strong communication skills in order to thrive. You will be responsible for overseeing the computer system, servers and networks. You will identify areas in need of improvement, either implementing fixes on the spot or making recommendations and collaborating with other analysts on your team to employ more complicated solutions to improve efficiency. Take on special research projects to identify the viability of potential server and user software for our company.
- Perform tests and daily maintenance on the company’s computer system and database to keep them operating as efficiently as possible
- Analyze the performance of the computer servers, identifying areas of poor efficiency and making improvements when possible
- Complete initial setup of new hardware and software during expansions or improvement, working with other analysts and computer engineers
- Create a monthly report of the performance of the systems from raw data, which includes recommendations for improvements and strategies for implementing these improvements successfully
- Present your reports at monthly board meeting, answering questions from department heads and other executives
- Communicate with managers and other engineers to agree upon the best computer system strategies
- Perform research on new technological developments, creating written reports of potential improvements as they become available and their corresponding benefits
- Train new additions to the computer engineering team, ensuring all recruits have a complete understanding of the company’s computer system
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field
- Two years’ experience in information systems or information technology
- Master’s degree in computer related field
- One year experience working with corporate databases
Computer Systems Analyst Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities portion makes up the bulk of your computer systems analyst job description. In this section, you provide jobseekers with an overview of the typical daily tasks to help them understand the position. To attract the best talent, you should include the most important tasks and expectations specific to the role. You don’t need to list implied basic tasks of the position, such as checking email or answering phone calls.
In writing your computer systems analyst job description, you want to be thorough, yet concise. Avoid overwhelming jobseekers with a long list of duties. Instead, you should provide a bullet list of 6-8 varying responsibilities. Lead each bullet point with an action verb to better illustrate and emphasize the role. Strong job descriptions include any expected specialized tasks and describe the role the position plays within the company.
Here are some examples of common computer systems analyst job responsibilities:
- Perform daily maintenance and repair on computer hardware and IT equipment
- Install new machines, wiring and software to meet company standards
- Modify server and network needs to improve work flow
- Devise testing and troubleshooting procedures for computer system
- Provide assistance and information for staff with computer problems
Computer Systems Analyst Job Specifications
The second major part of your computer systems analyst job description is the job qualifications and skills section. While many jobseekers are interested in the position you have to offer, only a handful are truly qualified. To bring on the best candidates, you need to provide job specifications that speak to the ideal person for the role.
Job specifications range from basic experience and education to specialized skills. In this section, be sure to include the amount of experience you expect, as well as any formalized training you require in your computer systems analyst job description. This is an easy way to rule out underqualified candidates.
When seeking a new computer systems analyst, incorporate specific qualifications for the role as well. Focus on skills related to building, installing and diagnosing computer systems, such as IT management experience. Additionally, you want to list desired traits that describe the kind of worker you’re looking for. For instance, your ideal computer systems analyst should have excellent and insightful problem-solving skills.
Take a look at these examples of computer systems analyst job specifications to get a better idea of what to include in your job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, technical engineering or similar field
- 3-5 years’ experience
- Engaged problem-solver and active critical thinker
- Efficient with spreadsheets and network platform software, including Microsoft Suite