Construction managers ensure construction projects run smoothly from start to finish. They have many duties, including planning, scheduling daily activities, preparing budgets and cost estimates, collaborating with engineers and architects, supervising trade workers and ensuring work is in compliance with regulations and codes.
When outlining important skills on your construction manager job description, you will want to emphasize that the position requires exceptional leadership, time management and decision-making skills to effectively run jobs.
Construction managers should also have business and customer service skills to be able to communicate with other professionals. Technical skills are also a plus, as an understanding of the construction trades will allow the manager to plan activities accordingly. Below, you will find a helpful example that shows you what you should include in your construction manager job description.
Construction Manager Job Summary
As a construction manager with our company, you will be an essential part of a team that is dedicated to professional excellence. You will not only oversee projects, but you will be part of every step of the process from beginning to end. You will get to interact with the workers, architects and engineers and plan and coordinate activities in a way that moves our projects toward success. This role is great for someone with a passion for working in a fast-paced environment and for a company that is rapidly growing. If you are a natural leader with outstanding time management skills and the ability to motivate, you will excel in this position.
- Plan, coordinate and schedule activities on construction projects to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner with quality results
- Prepare accurate budget estimates and cost reports and ensure budgets are properly adhered to
- Develop and implement reactive plans to be put into place if emergencies, bad weather or delays occur to maximize smoothness of operations
- Determine the cost effectiveness of projects and plans using computer models and identify ways to maximize cost effectiveness if possible
- Know job specifications and requirements for each project and ensure they are closely followed
- Confer with owners, contractors and design professionals to create schedules and resolve matters involving procedures and problems
- Ensure environmental regulations and safety codes are properly followed to ensure projects meet standards to avoid issues in the future
- Direct and supervise construction workers and coordinate with superintendents to ensure quality work is done on time and according to schedule and budget
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, engineering or related field
- Exceptional communication and negotiation skills
- Ability to multi-task, organize and lead
- Must know and understand building codes
- One to five years of experience in building design or construction
- Thorough understanding of the roles of each trade
- Customer service experience in the building industry
Writing an outstanding construction manager job description is only the first step you must complete on your journey to finding exceptional candidates. You will now need to know where to place your job description to ensure it is seen by your target audience. There are many ways you can reach potential employees, and social networks are an excellent tool to use. Your company website is another spot where future candidates will go to learn about jobs and your company goals.
You will also want to get your job description onto online job boards, as they are another place where potential candidates will look. Job boards are highly advantageous, but it can be time-consuming to post to numerous boards. Fortunately, MightyRecruiter can help you save time and find your candidate faster by allowing you to post jobs for free on hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter