The responsibilities of construction superintendents are twofold. First, they are tasked with the planning phase of construction. They create blueprints, estimate costs and may hire construction staff before the project begins. Second, they lead the construction crew during the project, ensuring that all employees work together efficiently to complete the work on schedule.
There are many qualities that your construction superintendent job description should include. It is vital that these professionals are skilled leaders and managers. They should have excellent communication and decision-making abilities, as well as critical thinking and analysis skills.
It is also important that superintendents have some level of business sense. This includes economic and finance aspects and will benefit them when planning and creating a design. The best way to discover how to include these requirements on your job description is to review the following construction superintendent job description template.
Construction Superintendent Job Summary
If you are a talented leader with extensive knowledge of both the construction and business fields, join our team as a construction superintendent. You will put your leadership skills to good use, managing a team of construction workers, creating schedules and planning all aspects of the construction project, both technical and practical. You will be the key professional responsible for overseeing the entire project and ensuring it does not hit any issues or delays. If any problems do arise, you will have the critical thinking and decision-making abilities to resolve it quickly, effectively and creatively to stay on the projected schedule.
- Confer with other supervisors, gathering information about all aspects of a construction project in order to get a firm understanding of progress
- Relay information to supervisors clearly and quickly for them to make adjustments in any area of the construction project
- Create a plan before the construction project begins, taking all aspects into consideration, hiring necessary contractors and overlooking blueprints
- Design a schedule for the project, ensuring it is both reasonable and ambitious, then taking measures to keep construction on schedule
- Obtain necessary permits and licenses prior to the beginning of the project and foresee any other legal requirements
- Inspect progress to ensure all work is completed following mandated building codes and policies, as well as environmental regulations, making note of errors or violations and giving instructions to correct them
- Meet with clients, providing them with information about the progress of construction, taking measures to quell any concerns, answer inquiries and give updated schedules
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Fully certified in construction safety training
- Minimum three years of working experience in construction and leadership
- Bachelor degree in business management or related field
- Working knowledge of the entire Microsoft Office Suite
Want to use this job description?
Construction Superintendent Job Responsibilities
You want a top-notch leader managing your construction company. Acquiring the interest of the best in the field starts with a winning construction superintendent job description. The meat of this description should demand attention but also contain enough details to make sure you get someone with the right qualifications. This all begins with the construction superintendent job responsibilities section, where you want to ensure that any jobseekers considering your company know exactly what they would be getting into.
Advertise your company’s principles and values to potential applicants. Use your company’s voice in the responsibilities section of the construction superintendent job description to demonstrate what working for your construction company feels like. You do not want to lose someone you have hired into an important management position due to culture shock, so be upfront about the style and expectations involved.
Look below for some examples:
- Organize and schedule construction projects, making sure that all is complete by the deadline
- Inspect all construction sites and investigate any issues of safety, quality of work or budget-related concerns
- Obtain all required permits or licenses well before the work needs to begin
- Consult with all owners, contractors, supervisors, general laborers and designers to work out any problems or complications ahead of time
Construction Superintendent Job Specifications
Your next step is to detail out the construction superintendent job specifications you desire. Check with any relevant sources or review teams to verify what skills and qualifications are absolutely necessary. It is a good idea to review the order of importance for any skills and qualifications you deem essential for the construction superintendent job description.
Use bullet points for the skills and qualifications to make them easier to read. You do not want a jobseeker to be unsure of whether he or she would qualify. Another way to improve the ease of comprehension is to adopt the use of subheadings, such as required skills versus preferred skills. Additionally, always make it clear whether you require a degree for the position or if you accept equivalent experience and knowledge in construction. There are pros and cons to choosing either way, but always reflect on your options ahead of time so you do not unintentionally send away someone you would consider ideal for the position.
Look below for some ideas of skills and qualifications for your construction superintendent job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 3+ years of experience in a construction-related field, or 5-7+ years of experience in construction and related fields
- Knowledge of building and construction methods, tools and basic protocol
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills, able to work well with employees and clients alike
- Knowledge and comfort with administrative and clerical work and responsibilities