The responsibilities of construction superintendents are twofold. First, they are tasked with the planning phase of construction. They create blueprints, estimate costs and may hire construction staff before the project begins. Second, they lead the construction crew during the project, ensuring that all employees work together efficiently to complete the work on schedule.
There are many qualities that your construction superintendent job description should include. It is vital that these professionals are skilled leaders and managers. They should have excellent communication and decision-making abilities, as well as critical thinking and analysis skills.
It is also important that superintendents have some level of business sense. This includes economic and finance aspects and will benefit them when planning and creating a design. The best way to discover how to include these requirements on your job description is to review the following construction superintendent job description template.
Construction Superintendent Job Summary
If you are a talented leader with extensive knowledge of both the construction and business fields, join our team as a construction superintendent. You will put your leadership skills to good use, managing a team of construction workers, creating schedules and planning all aspects of the construction project, both technical and practical. You will be the key professional responsible for overseeing the entire project and ensuring it does not hit any issues or delays. If any problems do arise, you will have the critical thinking and decision-making abilities to resolve it quickly, effectively and creatively to stay on the projected schedule.
- Confer with other supervisors, gathering information about all aspects of a construction project in order to get a firm understanding of progress
- Relay information to supervisors clearly and quickly for them to make adjustments in any area of the construction project
- Create a plan before the construction project begins, taking all aspects into consideration, hiring necessary contractors and overlooking blueprints
- Design a schedule for the project, ensuring it is both reasonable and ambitious, then taking measures to keep construction on schedule
- Obtain necessary permits and licenses prior to the beginning of the project and foresee any other legal requirements
- Inspect progress to ensure all work is completed following mandated building codes and policies, as well as environmental regulations, making note of errors or violations and giving instructions to correct them
- Meet with clients, providing them with information about the progress of construction, taking measures to quell any concerns, answer inquiries and give updated schedules
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Fully certified in construction safety training
- Minimum three years of working experience in construction and leadership
- Bachelor degree in business management or related field
- Working knowledge of the entire Microsoft Office Suite
It is vital that you realize that writing your construction superintendent job description is only the first step in the hiring process. Once you have proofread it and ensured it is as strong as possible, it is time to begin focusing on advertising the job opening. Many companies will choose to post the opening on their website or through social media. These are valuable outlets, but one of the very best solutions is to post the description to online job boards. These sites are especially appealing because many job seekers who are searching for specific work see them.
MightyRecruiter can make it easier to post your job description to online job boards by allowing you to upload it to hundreds simultaneously. Use our website to post jobs for free and start your next hiring process off on the right foot.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter