Folks who work in a job such as senior programmer analyst – consulting need a broad mix of both hard skills and soft skills. There’s the required experience in certain programming environments, and because of the heavy client interaction, soft skills such as communications and an engaging and friendly manner are critical. Regardless of your business size or business environment, you must have an appealing job description to recruit qualified candidates. The description must include information about the job type and location, and it should discuss the culture of your company so that interested folks can determine up front whether the culture is one in which they could thrive. To provide an idea of what you could write, we have a senior programmer analyst – consulting job description sample below.
Senior Programmer Analyst – Consulting Job Summary
You will work for a thriving and innovative company in beautiful Blacksburg, Virginia, to meet client information technology requirements. Main duties include planning and accomplishing systems and software projects, checking results and training new or inexperienced analysts and programmers.
Senior Programmer Analyst – Consulting Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Hire, orient, coach, train and mentor new analysts and programmers
- Communicate with clients about the statuses of their projects
- Assess and confirm client requirements, especially those pertaining to system capabilities and clients’ finances and time lines
- Create systems and alternative solutions; write programs
- Design software for computer systems or help choose software programs
- Run tests on software to check for bugs; troubleshoot as necessary
- Train clients on how to use systems and software; serve as an ongoing resource and support person
- Document the ongoing process
- Revise and enter definitions in the data dictionary
Senior Programmer Analyst – Consulting Skills and Qualifications
- MIS in computer science or business administration (BS okay if more experience than listed below)
- 3 years’ experience – SQL or PL/SQL
- 3 years’ experience – complex relational database structures
- 2 years of system analysis experience
- 3 years of business applications programming
- Ability to convert technical concepts and jargon-laden language into clear, understandable terms for laypeople
- Excellent communications skills for discussing projects with clients and keeping them in the loop
- Friendly and pleasant demeanor
- True thirst for continuing knowledge and for staying current in the field
- (preferred) 2 years’ experience with Ellucian Banner ERP system
- (preferred) 1 year experience with Oracle database
With 20 years of experience, Jane P. Doe Software is an industry leader in providing systems and software solutions for a wide range of industries. We work with any organization, no matter what type of business it is, to develop customized packages for its needs. We’ve been so successful due to our commitment to three core values: innovation, exceptional service and a thirst for knowledge.
We seek the best and brightest folks to join our teams. This senior programmer analyst – consulting position is in Blacksburg, Virginia, right off the campus of beautiful Virginia Tech. Hiking and recreational opportunities abound; many of our employees spend their time off hours having fun while working up a sweat. Many also bike or walk to work; we buy our employees a bicycle or a good pair of quality walking/running shoes every three years to promote a whole-body approach to well-being.
Do you feel like you are a good fit for this senior programmer analyst – consulting job? Apply today; just click on this link!
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The senior programmer analyst – consulting job description sample above is a great springboard for ideas relating to your own description. After you complete the first draft, proofread it, and check it against several dos and don’ts.
- Do make generous use of bullet points. They are extremely friendly for smartphone and tablet users, and overall lend themselves to easy skimming. Job applicants will appreciate the effort you put into making their lives easier.
- Do be specific. This is your chance to help unqualified or incompatible folks eliminate themselves early in the process. However, do not be overly specific or strict; for example, could additional experience make up for having a bachelor’s degree versus a master’s degree?
- Don’t rely on passive voice. Use direct language and active, energetic verbs.
- Don’t forget to include the lowdown on your company culture and personality. Give interested applicants an idea of what makes your business stand out.
- Do include a clear call to action that tells folks how to apply.
- Do write about both hard skills and soft skills.
Consulting Senior Programming Analyst Job Responsibilities
When seeking new employees for a company, it is essential to look for candidates who efficiently and competently perform the duties of a position. Creating a comprehensive list of job tasks is the best way to screen applicants for interviews. No manager wants to waste time sifting through unqualified applicants; the best way to avoid this is to craft this section carefully, taking care to paint a comprehensive picture of what you expect at your organization. Consulting senior programming analyst job responsibilities should be the biggest component of the job description.
To make your consulting senior programming analyst job description compelling and easy-to-read, outline the necessary duties in a bullet point list. Limit your list to no more than eight points, but make sure each task is something a candidate routinely performs if employed. For clarity, start each bullet with an action verb. Add plenty of details so a candidate can imagine what it is like to clock in every morning at your organization and spend a productive day working.
A consulting senior programming analyst job description can include many tasks. These are just a few examples
- Take the lead on projects by managing a team in the design, development and delivery of programming objectives for clients
- Identify and implement changes to work processes and technology to increase efficiency of team
- Communicate with clients, updating them on the progress of projects
- Answer questions, prepare resources and conduct training
Consulting Senior Programming Analyst Job Specifications
While not as lengthy as the job responsibilities portion of a description, don’t underestimate the importance of the skills and qualifications section. Just because you list the minimum requirements necessary for the job doesn’t mean you should set the bar low. This might result in receiving too many applications from candidates who don’t possess the right education, training or experience to satisfactorily complete a job. Think carefully about consulting senior programming analyst job specifications to pinpoint the right pool of applicants.
Crafting a quality consulting senior programming analyst job description often requires collaborating with hiring managers and senior leadership, and this portion is no exception. Think closely about the nature of the work to come up with a list 6-8 bullet points long. When deciding whom to call in for an interview, a candidate should meet the majority of requirements.
These examples are commonly found in a consulting senior programming analyst job description:
Excellent sales, leadership and team building skills Excellent verbal and written communication Adept at Java, J2EE, C and C++ programming languages Familiarity with Linux and UNIX operating systems Self-starter capable of working independently and on a team