Cost accountants use their expertise to compile and assess a company’s financial data. They advise management about operations and costs for the organization. They review information to evaluate the business’s financial performance as well. While other types of accountants solely look at financial records, cost accountants focus on the business side of a company and the cost of materials compared to profitability.
For the cost accountant job description, it’s important to mention the standard qualifications. Cost accountants have at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting or another financial topic. Companies usually want someone with experience working with enterprise resource planning software as well.
Talented cost accountants have a high level of knowledge in mathematics and financial information. They are also highly organized and quite detail oriented. The cost accountant job description template below shows more details about the basic parameters of the job.
Cost Accountant Job Summary
Looking to make an impact with your financial know-how in the private sector? Our manufacturing company, which is a global player in the sports apparel and equipment business, is seeking a cost accountant to help us increase our level of success even more. We are searching for a candidate who is ready to lead our corporate accounting department by coordinating financial information across all the different business divisions within the company. You will work with each department to improve productivity and reduce costs by recording spending and profit data each month. If you are dedicated to producing results and improving our worldwide influence, consider joining our team.
- Review supply chain and materials pricing, labor costs, shipping discounts and quarterly sales records for each department of the corporation
- Evaluate inventory tracking systems through retail outlets and online sales distribution centers and reconcile numbers with manufacturing centers to ensure accurate reporting
- Audit the inventory in each regional warehouse every year by reviewing the contents and recording details about the numbers of each product in stock
- Use computer accounting software and enterprise resource management software to track budgeting, costs and other financial data
- Prepare monthly accounting reports that summarize the status of each department to inform upper management of things that are working and areas needing improvement
- Plan for the next fiscal year by creating a budget proposal and financial goals for the company’s next 12 months
- Meet with production and manufacturing managers throughout the company to discuss new strategies to improve efficiency
- Maintain company bookkeeping ledgers by imputing details about expenses, travel costs and other financials for accounting staff
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or another related field
- Two or more years of experience in manufacturing
- Proficiency in ERP software
- Positive attitude when working with a team
- Supervisory experience in the accounting field
- Project management background
When you’re trying to hire the absolute best, a strong cost accountant job description can help you reach your goal of having a great team of workers. Writing the job description is only the first step in finding the perfect new hire. Companies must also come up with a plan to connect with potential applicants and make them aware of the job posting.
Jobs in accounting can be quite diverse, and cost accountants are primarily associated with manufacturing companies. Individuals working in this field often have specialized experience and look for new positions by going to job fairs or searching through a company’s website. The best source of jobs in accounting is the internet, and many jobseekers browse online job boards looking for work. You can capitalize on this by using a posting service such as MightyRecruiter to help your company post to free job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter