Cost estimators use data to determine the estimated money, time, labor and materials required to build something, make a product or provide a service. Many of them work in a particular industry. Some typical duties include reading blueprints and technical documents, identifying cost factors, calculating estimates, working with contractors and recommending methods to reduce cost.
When writing your cost estimator job description, it is important to include the qualities of a perfect applicant. Cost estimators must be good at math in order to deliver accurate estimates. Being analytical is also an important quality, as different methods for cost-effective solutions must be considered.
Other skills that are beneficial for this job include being detail-oriented, being able to manage time well and the ability to write comprehensive reports. For more ideas about what to include in your cost estimator job description, consult the example below.
Cost Estimator Job Summary
As a cost estimator for our company, you will be responsible for helping us keep our budget on track. Your professional analysis of blueprints and other project plans will help us make sound financial decisions by aiding us in the hiring process and with bidding on particular materials and resources specific to each project. Your role will include working side-by-side with engineers, contractors, architects, sales teams and clients. Throughout the course of the project, you will continue to evaluate all aspects and recommend budget adjustments as needed or correct problems that may be associated with product assembly, shipping delays or wasted material.
- Analyze documentation, such as blueprints and other data, to prepare materials, cost, time and labor estimates
- Break down all expenses and prepare reports to assist management in the organizing, planning and scheduling of work
- Collect cost data to estimate total costs for both current and future projects
- Aid in selecting subcontractors or vendors and in hiring labor to keep cost estimates on schedule and ahead of schedule
- Consult with construction foremen, vendors, clients and management personnel to discuss estimates and resolve issues that may arise
- Perform onsite investigations during the course of a project and make adjustments to project budgets as needed
- Recommend ways to reduce cost in the areas of labor, materials and assembly to benefit the company
- Track actual costs as a project develops and assess cost effectiveness of projects, services or products
- Set up cost reporting and monitoring procedures and systems in order to streamline the process
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Good communication with others
- Great decision-making skills
- Experience with project management software, such as ConEst and Galorath
- Certification as a cost professional (CCP) or as an estimating professional (CEP)
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the industry
- Experience with financial analysis software
Writing a great cost estimator job description is a good first step, but keep in mind that it is only the start. Placing your posting in front of qualified applicants is extremely important, and there are a number of ways this can be done. Using social media outlets, such as LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter, is a good way to reach a lot of different people in a short amount of time.
Posting jobs on your own company’s website is also a good option, as is asking your employees to email and contact potential applicants. Online job boards are very popular places that job-seekers check out. The issue with this is that it can take a lot of time and energy to post on each one individually. To save you time, consider using a resource such as MightyRecruiter to post on multiple job boards for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter