Counter attendants are often the first people customers interact with when they enter an establishment. They greet customers, answer questions about menu items and ring up orders. They also often serve ready-made food and drink items, such as coffee, ice cream and pastries.
In the skills section of your counter attendant job description, be sure to emphasize that good candidates will be personable, friendly and focused on customer service. Attention to detail and accuracy in taking and delivering orders is key to success as a counter attendant. Stamina is also important, as counter attendants often spend entire shifts on their feet.
Counter attendants should be patient with customers when answering questions and understanding and helpful when dealing with any problems that arise. Use the example below to get a better idea of what to include in your counter attendant job description.
Counter Attendant Job Summary
As a counter attendant at our local café, you’ll be an important part of our customer service team, working under our front-of-house manager to ensure our customers start their day off right. You’ll greet customers with a smile when they walk in the door and offer assistance with anything they need. This may be starting them out with a hot cup of coffee, answering questions about our delicious, local and organic menu items or helping put together a table for a party of eight. This role is ideal for friendly, personable workers with a passion for organic food and a desire to share our vision of a sustainable, eco-friendly café with our customers.
- Greet customers as they come into the café and offer your assistance with their orders
- Ring up food orders and communicate those orders to the kitchen staff, making sure to note any special requests so all items are made correctly
- Explain menu items to customers with enthusiasm and descriptive language, and be knowledgeable about our ingredients so you can tell customers about our commitment to quality, local, organic food sources
- Offer suggestions for order substitutions for customers with allergies or other dietary restrictions
- Offer to help customers find seating and carry items to their tables
- Ensure there is always hot, fresh coffee brewed and ready for customers, and keep coffee station clean and stocked with cream, sugar and other items
- Direct customers to anything they need, such as utensils, coffee items, booster seats or directions to the restroom
- Ask customers if they want their order for here or to go, and explain that all to-go orders use our eco-friendly, compostable packaging
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work early morning and weekends
- Excellent communication skills
- Positive attitude and friendly demeanor
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous food service experience
- Experience handling cash and using credit card processing machines
Remember, writing an engaging counter attendant job description is just the first step in finding the ideal candidate for your position. Next, you need to post your advertisement in the places job applicants are most likely to look. Local papers and online advertisements reach a wide audience, but don’t forget to make use of your company’s website and social media accounts to get the word out to candidates already familiar with your business.
While you may find a great candidate through word of mouth or advertising on your own website, you also want to extend your reach by posting to online job boards. To reach the maximum number of qualified candidates, let MightyRecruiter help with free job postings to hundreds of online job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter