A crane operator uses specialized equipment to move and place large and heavy materials vertically and horizontally. Most crane operators are employed in the construction, mining or shipping industries and typically work with materials such as beams, trusses, excavated earth and shipping containers.
When you are writing your crane operator job description, it’s important to focus on proper training and adequate work experience with hoists, cranes, lifts and other relevant equipment. Your state or city may also require that crane operators have a specific license. Most operators learn primarily through on-the-job training rather than formal education.
Other important skills for heavy machinery operators include alertness, hand-eye coordination, attention to detail and ability to follow instructions closely. Look through the crane operator job description below to see what other information you should include in your listing.
Crane Operator Job Summary
Do you enjoy working outdoors and want a fast-paced, hands-on career with plenty of room for professional growth and advancement? We are looking for the right crane operator to join our team of dedicated professionals and support construction site operations by working with a variety of equipment. You will be an integral part of every project and get a chance to improve your working knowledge of machinery and standard construction site practices, as well as move up to advanced positions commensurate with your continued training and work performance. We value our team members and rely on your self-motivation, responsibility and compliance with safety standards, so we reward exceptional work with competitive pay and benefits.
- Operate a variety of material-moving equipment daily according to schedule and instructions from project manager, choosing and setting up the right crane, lift or hoist to complete each task safely and efficiently
- Inspect machines and equipment daily, perform routine maintenance procedures and minor repairs as required and initiate additional repair requests from mechanics when necessary
- Control cranes, lifts and other equipment using standard operating procedures to ensure effective transportation of materials and safety for all personnel on site
- Create and update detailed log of material transportation operations, including information about type of material, movement locations and additional data requested by project manager
- Listen to site manager’s plan prior to start of every shift, and complete all required tasks accurately and within assigned deadlines with limited supervision
- Maintain visual and radio contact with ground operators according to best practices and site safety regulations, and respond to questions and instructions clearly and quickly
- Provide additional support to other crane operators as necessary, including working overtime to complete tasks, operating several types of equipment and training or monitoring junior operators
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma plus minimum of 4 years of experience in crane operation
- Experience working with lift trucks, overhead cranes and mobile cranes
- Commercial driver’s license
- Flexibility to work overtime when necessary
- Excellent coordination, focus and dedication to following safety protocols
- Professional crane operator certification
There are two distinct parts to a successful hiring campaign: writing a thorough crane operator job description and posting it in the right locations where jobseekers can see it. Most hiring managers find that posting in several locations increases the number of responses from qualified and motivated candidates.
You can post your job listing on free and paid online job boards as well as on professional social networks and your company’s official website. You may also send the description to your current employees and initiate a program encouraging personal recommendations. Posting in all these different locations can be repetitive and take a lot of time. If you want to increase the efficiency of your hiring campaign, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter