People struggling with debt will often seek the assistance of credit counselors. These professionals specialize in developing debt relief strategies. They’ll review their clients’ finances and offer advice on eliminating their debts through consolidation loans, mortgage refinancing or even bankruptcy. They also work with creditors to develop repayment schedules that are more advantageous for their clients.
The credit counselor job description template provided here will show you how to solicit the services of the right professional for your organization. He or she should possess outstanding customer service skills, with an emphasis on empathy for a client’s financial struggles. A working knowledge of effective debt relief methods should also be a basic job requirement.
Strong math skills will also help a credit counselor assist his or her clients with budgeting. Consider all of these skills as you review the credit counselor job description below prior to creating your listing.
Credit Counselor Job Summary
Countless citizens and business owners in your own community are currently struggling with debt. How would you like to use your financial know-how to help them get back on track with their finances? Our firm is looking for a qualified credit counselor to help clients develop debt-relief strategies. Your budgeting skills and your knowledge of debt management will help people as they work to qualify for mortgages, school loans and small business financing. This position also offers you the chance to develop valuable networking relationships with clients, external partners and third-party financial services providers. As a member of our team of personal and commercial finance professionals, you’ll work under the guidance of our finance director as we fulfill our mission to improve the collective outlook of our community.
- Review documentation detailing your clients’ financial histories to assess their current situations from a debt perspective
- Offer advice and education on personal debt-relief strategies, such as implementing better budgeting tools, exploring the possibility of debt consolidation or seeking bankruptcy protection
- Work to develop customized debt management plans that will allow clients to ultimately put themselves in position to qualify for our other financial services
- Create outlook reports based off of your clients’ financial documentation that provide savings calculations, expense estimates and other concrete data to help support your debt management proposals
- Advise clients on the wise use of credit, whether that be helping them curtail their credit purchases or to consolidate all of their consumer credit into a single account
- Assist clients with personal and commercial budgeting, creating spending plans and savings strategies to help them meet their financial goals
- Coordinate with creditors to help negotiate lower monthly payment amounts that better fit into your clients’ budgets
- Represent clients in meetings with banks, credit unions and other financial institutions as they work to better manage their consumer loans
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting or business administration from an accredited four-year college or university
- Previous professional experience in either personal or commercial finance
- Demonstrated understanding of current effective methods of debt relief
- Excellent communication or customer service skills
- Prior experience as a credit counselor
- Strong mathematics skills
- Familiarity with financial management software programs
Resources such as the credit counselor job description shown here provide all the tools needed to create an outstanding job listing. With your posting in hand, you’re ready to pursue the different methods available to help advertise it to applicants. Resources such as career fairs, post-secondary school job placement programs and community job boards can help direct qualified candidates your way.
So too can online job listing sites. Such sites can provide your listing with unprecedented exposure. However, some of these are subscription services that require an even greater dedication of company resources to help fill your job openings. Wouldn’t it be nice to know which offer free job postings without having to research these sites yourself? Partners like MightyRecruiter offer such a benefit. With this increased access to post jobs for free, you’ll increase your chances of making a great hire while also saving time and money.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter