Customer care representatives are critical links in facilitating customer needs. Professionals functioning in this role often work in teams to manage large volumes of phone calls, emails and other correspondences. Their responsibilities include providing product information, solving problems, following up on escalated issues, managing customers’ personal information and documenting all interactions. They can also create and update customer accounts.
If there is just one skill you choose to highlight in your customer care representative job description, it should be customer service. In conjunction with good interpersonal skills, applicants have to be able to communicate effectively, listen efficiently and solve problem creatively.
Patience is another imperative competency as customer service requires dealing with persons who may be dissatisfied or misunderstanding a product or service. This customer care representative job description is an accurate depiction of the type of content you may choose to include in your own listing.
Customer Care Representative Job Summary
As a customer care representative, you will be a part of our lively and enthusiastic team of professional listeners. Your number one task will be assisting our loyal customers in understanding our products and services and creating orders based on the information you have received. You will get to experience a variety of tasks, including data entry and management, account creation and cancellation, problem solving and building long-lasting business relationships. If you are someone who enjoys working with people, is self-motivated, can manage your time and is committed to working as part of a team, this job could be a perfect fit for you. With unprecedented opportunities for growth and advancement, you can channel your strengths to make a difference and provide our customers with superior service.
- Answer phone calls and respond to emails in a friendly, patient and professional manner; if requested, transfer the caller to a manager’s phone in an efficient and kind way
- Provide customers with detailed information about various products and services and offer recommendations for complementary merchandise; upsell where possible in a manner that is professional and honest
- Manage conflict with objectivity and professionalism; immediately report escalated issues and follow up at a later point to ensure the customer was adequately served and compensated if needed
- Document all activity on every customer account, including updates, order inquiries, questions and billing issues for future reference
- Create and maintain customer information in a secure online filing system; protect sensitive information by complying with the highest standards of confidentiality and integrity
- Oversee customer payments, apply appropriate discounts, issue refunds and facilitate exchanges
- Uphold a positive attitude and enthusiastic demeanor to contribute effectively to team efforts and provide customers with the highest level of service
- Maintain a workspace that is clean, organized and free of distractions and remain focused during all shifts
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent degree
- Effective communication and listening skills
- The ability to solve problems with creative solutions
- Previous experience in a customer service position
- Able to speak more than one language fluently
Customer Care Representative Job Responsibilities
Are you writing a customer care representative job description? Learn the best way to write the responsibilities section to attract the most talented professionals. This section is one of the most important and should be the meatiest section of the description, with the strongest information. Remember that you are trying to sell the positive aspects of the position to entice candidates.
In addition to the content, however, you also need to organize the information correctly by following formatting standards. Format the customer care representative job responsibilities section as a bulleted list. Aim to have at least six but no more than eight bullet points. This length strikes a good balance between including a lot of information and not being intimidatingly long. It is also recommended that you use a strong action verb for the first word of every bullet point. This gives jobseekers a better understanding of what kind of work they will do while letting them imagine themselves in the position.
These customer care representative job description sample entries show some great verbs for this position specifically:
- Interact with customers, ensuring they are satisfied at all times
- Resolve issues and complaints with customers, implementing negotiation and conflict resolution tactics
- Answer inquiries from guests and provide information about services or products
- Oversee operations, making sure all employers interact with customers tactfully
Customer Care Representative Job Specifications
There is another section in your customer care representative job description that you may be neglecting. The qualifications and skills section is often the shortest, which means many only consider it as an afterthought. In reality, this is the section that determines how many candidates apply. Your goal should be to avoid receiving applications from many unqualified candidates or not receiving enough applications to find someone talented to hire. The customer care representative job specifications are how you control this aspect.
One of the best ways to weed out unqualified candidates without scaring off those with potential is to split the qualifications between required and preferred attributes. Typically, education or work experiences are required, while things like skills or behavioral attributes are simply preferred. The hiring manage can likely provide more information about what your company prioritizes.
The following example entries show a mix of both preferred and required qualifications, which can help you when you are writing your own customer care representative job description:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication preferred
- Two years of working experience in customer service management mandatory, four years preferred
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and customer service abilities
- Critical thinking, evaluation, analysis and a strong attention to small details