Customer service representatives help companies achieve the primary goal of meeting clients’ needs. While most of these professionals work in telephone-based call centers, some assist in expanded contact center environments by answering email inquiries or interacting with customers through online live chat session portals. They provide information about services, process electronic payments, answer billing questions, handle orders and resolve customer complaints, recording notes on each interaction for later reference and tracking.
As you craft your customer service rep job description, you must emphasize the ideal qualities you’d like a candidate to possess. Be sure to include essentials such as excellent interpersonal and listening abilities as well as both written and oral communication skills.
Moreover, customer service professionals should have good problem-solving capabilities, along with the patience for daily interaction with clients. For a great guide to creating your own customer service rep job description, see our example below.
Customer Service Rep Job Summary
If you love interacting with different kinds of people, solving problems and learning new skills, then our customer service rep position may be the right fit for you. You’ll become a valued member of our team working as an agent in a contact center operation dedicated to assisting over 100 million wireless services subscribers in the United States. With our top-quality paid training, we prepare you to take on a challenging job providing excellent service for our clients who contact us via telephone, email or our live chat portals. You’ll enjoy competitive pay and benefits as well as the potential for advancement and assignments to projects on specialized teams. This is a great opportunity for professionals who possess positive attitudes, integrity and a desire to help people.
- Interact with customers via telephone, email or online live chat sessions to provide product and service information, generate orders for new service, activate mobile devices and recommend appropriate wireless voice and data plans
- Perform minor troubleshooting to attempt first call resolution on common wireless device issues, such as lack of data connectivity, inability to access voice mail, trouble making or receiving phone calls, app shutdowns or phone operating system crashes
- Create trouble tickets and forward to second-tier support staff if unable to achieve first call resolution
- Assist customers with device returns and exchanges as well as upgrades to new devices
- Maintain up-to-date customer records by processing contact information changes in company database
- Transfer client calls to specialized customer service teams as needed
- Write and edit entries in the contact center’s knowledge base to ensure it supplies correct and current problem resolution information
- Process payments, adjust billing statements and answer billing inquiries from clients
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient multitasking capabilities
- Ability to use desktop computer
- Familiarity with smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices
- Basic knowledge of Android OS and iOS
- One year of call center experience
- Availability to work night or weekend shifts
Once you’ve created your customer service rep job description, you have the task of making sure it’s seen by the right type of candidates. Job seekers look in a variety of places to finding promising leads, so don’t forget to share your new description on your organization’s social media channels. One obvious place that can be easily overlooked is your own company’s website, so be sure to post it there as well. In addition, your employees can aid your cause by sharing your open job posting on their professional and social networks.
You’ll find that posting your opening on online job boards will gain the notice of qualified applicants. With so many websites for job hunters available, using MightyRecruiter to reach them makes perfect sense. MightyRecruiter allows you to post jobs for free simultaneously to many different sites, cutting your work down and making your recruiting tasks easier.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter