Cutting and slicing machine setters are responsible for ensuring machines used to slice products such as tobacco, roofing slate, food or insulating material remain in good working order. Operating and maintaining the machines are large parts of the job description.
Your professional cutting and slicing machine setter job description should indicate the importance of observation skills and time management skills for someone in this profession. A strong attention to detail is required to keep machines working at optimal levels.
Machine setters must also have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to make quick decisions to ensure production remains at profitable levels. They should be coordinated, service-oriented and have the ability to instruct others on proper machine use. To see what else you should include, examine the cutting and slicing machine setter job description template below.
Cutting and Slicing Machine Setter Job Summary
Are you the type of person who gets satisfaction out of noticing the tiniest details? Do you like to take action as soon as you see a problem? If you enjoy using your talents to keep your workspace organized and productive, we need you on our team. As a cutting and slicing machine setter, you will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment that brings people the products they need when they need them. Using your experience and knowledge of the machinery provides you the satisfaction of solving problems and ensuring profits. You will work equally on your own and as part of a team as you develop your skills and continue on your career path.
- Operate the cutting and slicing machine by using the proper buttons, levers and depressing pedal according to markings or other specifications
- Observe the cutting and slicing machine while it is in operation to ensure the product is being fed through the machine correctly and that no foreign materials enter the machine and cause jamming
- Thread, push or otherwise guide stock into the cutting machine to ensure proper fit and rhythm
- Identify cutting lines on products and use a ruler, scribe or marking pencil to create guides
- Maintain cutting and slicing machine and its various conveyors, saws and blades by cleaning and lubricating it with a steam hose, brush, oil cans or scrapers
- Organize material for shipment by sorting the products according to size and separating them depending on whether they are ready for packaging, shipping or undergoing further processing
- Move unusable products and other scraps away from the work area by using a cart or hand truck to remove debris
- Record data about the type and amount of product, including length, width and weight
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to stand in one position for long periods of time
- Ability to lift 50 pounds or more as needed
- Must be able to use hands to perform repetitive motions
- Some experience
Cutting and Slicing Machine Setter Job Responsibilities
When you are writing your next cutting and slicing machine setter job description, you need to be sure the job responsibilities section is complete and clear. This section should be the most expansive, because it has to paint a picture of the position’s daily duties that is both accurate and attractive to qualified candidates. In this way, it mirrors the work experience section on the resume, and like that section, it needs to be vibrant and clear, but also concise.
To achieve the richness of detail this section of your cutting and slicing machine setter job description requires, start by organizing the duties into 6-8 points. Then, revise those points until they appear in active language and begin with a strong action verb. That way, it is easy for a reader to imagine performing those tasks. Use specific terms for both actions and associated equipment, too. That way, it will speak to the right candidate.
Here are a few cutting and slicing machine setter job responsibilities you can use as you build your job description:
- Configure cutting and slicing machines for various uses in manufacturing production
- Maintain and effect minor repairs to machinery as needed to promote efficient operation
- Demonstrate proper machine operation to employees stationed on the equipment after configuration and before the start of production
- Calibrate equipment to ensure the line produces less than the maximum allowable scrap percentage
Cutting and Slicing Machine Setter Job Specifications
Alongside the job responsibilities section, the job qualifications and skills section of your cutting and slicing machine setter job description works to paint a picture of the job’s requirements and duties. Instead of the daily tasks required to perform the job, though, this section lists the specific skills and professional credentials that you require from all candidates competing for your current open position.
Fine-tuning this section is important, because missing minimal qualifications may invite candidates to apply who might have otherwise realized they do not have the experience or necessary aptitudes for the position. If you are not familiar with the cutting and slicing machine setter job specifications that you will need to include as you complete the job description, talk to someone in your organization with more direct experience with the role.
It’s also a great idea to look at a few examples of job specifications for this position that should appear in every new job description. Here are a few examples of skills and qualifications you should include in a cutting and slicing machine setter job description:
- 2 years of experience calibrating and maintaining cutting and slicing machines
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Effective oral communication skills
- Quantitative reasoning skills