A data architect designs and builds relational databases to store and organize information. Some data architects may create conceptual and physical strategies for data acquisition, integration and analysis, and they may work closely with other IT experts to integrate new technologies into an infrastructure that supports required capabilities.
A thorough data architect job description should include the proper educational background, such as a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or a similar field. Most data architect positions also require several years of experience as a database administrator or designer.
Data architects must have exceptional technical knowledge and creativity to develop strategic methods for working with data. Interpersonal skills are also important to communicate with end users and other IT personnel. Learn what else to include in your own job listing by reading through the data architect job description below.
Data Architect Job Summary
If you are ready to use your creativity and results-oriented critical thinking to meet complex challenges and develop new strategies for acquiring, analyzing, modeling and storing data, apply for our data architect opening. We are looking for someone to guide our company into the future and utilize the latest technology and information management methodologies to meet our requirements for effective logical data modeling, metadata management and database warehouse domains. You will be working with experts in a variety of industries, including computer science and software development, as well as department heads and senior executives to integrate new technologies and refine system performance. We reward dedicated performance with exceptional pay and benefits, as well as tuition reimbursement and career growth opportunities.
- Design relational databases to support business enterprise applications and physical data modeling according to project requirements for data acquisition and security as well as customer-defined deliverables
- Collaborate with internal and external personnel, including system architects, software developers, database administrators, design analysts and information modeling experts to determine project requirements and capabilities, and strategize development and implementation timelines
- Develop architectural strategies for data modeling, design and implementation to meet stated requirements for metadata management, operational data stores and Extract Transform Load environments
- Create and test physical data models for a variety of business data, applications, database structures and metadata tables to meet operational goals for performance and efficiency
- Support database administrators, network designers and IT personnel to create effective and secure methods for data backup and recovery
- Review existing data architectures to determine overall effectiveness and compliance with original objectives, develop comprehensive strategies for improving or replacing underperforming areas and present these plans to managers and executives
- Research new technologies, data modeling methods and information management systems to determine which ones should be incorporated into company data architectures, and develop implementation timelines and milestones
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in data architecture, information management or similar field
- At least three years of data architecture experience
- Proficient with MongoDB, Hadoop and other database modeling and management tools
- Creative problem-solver with strong communication skills
- Professional certification, such as CSA or MCSE
Data Architect Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities part of the data architect job description is what draws in jobseekers and is where they seek information on what the employer is looking for and expects from candidates. The job description needs to list the most important daily tasks and duties accurately and clearly, so it’s imperative to spend a good amount of time to write a strong posting to attract the right candidates.
Use 6-8 bullets in the job responsibilities segment of the data architect job description, starting each with an action verb. This helps readers skim the posting easily, as opposed to writing large and lengthy paragraphs that become compacted with information that may get lost. It is not necessary to list every single task, which could be both exhaustive and intimidating. Instead, concentrate on the key duties and responsibilities.
Some sample data architect job responsibilities follow below
- Design and maintain physical and logical database design
- Collect business requirements and develop as well as document data models to satisfy those requirements
- Work with cross-functional teams to build new data platform, support their data needs, and provide thought leadership
- Develop and deliver Big Data roadmap
- Provide strategic direction and technical expertise to meet data architecture needs
Data Architect Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of the data architect job description generally lists only the minimum position requirements and may be the easiest portion to write. Remember that this part is key in influencing potential candidates to decide whether to pursue the job. Evaluate the data architect job specifications with hiring committees or managers to come to a consensus on which required specifications to list. Providing this removes both underqualified and overqualified applicants from the pool, once they’ve reviewed the expected requirements for the position.
The qualifications need to be precise and credible, with the goal being that jobseekers and hiring managers have the same understanding and anticipations. With fewer applications submitted, you will have additional time to concentrate on interviewing qualified applicants and spend less time weeding out unqualified ones.
Some examples of data architect job specifications you may wish to incorporate in your data architect job description are:
3-5 years of professional experience working in a related role 5 years of experience working with relational databases in a data role 3 years of experience building and maintaining data warehouses Flexible, self-driven and motivated team player accustomed to working in fast-paced environment Strong oral and written communication skills