Data entry keyers work for companies in a wide range of industries to enter and verify data. They may also perform duties such as filing.
If you want someone who does only data entry, then your data entry keyer job description must be specific as to hard skills. For instance, how many words per minute could your ideal candidate type, and how critical is experience in certain software programs? You may want to emphasize soft skills as well. An attention to detail is important for data entry keyers so they avoid errors.
Most, if not all, data entry keyers should also have a patience or even affinity for routine, repetitive work. They have the stamina to type many hours every day, and they follow company rules for preventing health issues that can result from such typing. Use the example beneath as a springboard to your own data entry keyer job description.
Data Entry Keyer Job Summary
As a data entry keyer for our large technology company, you’re part of a small team that focuses on getting things right the first time around. You get to work independently, with minimal supervision, to read our work orders, shipping orders and other customer service documents, and enter data from them into our computer systems. Your job is integral to the smooth operating of our company, as you verify the information before you enter it, and you key it in so it is consistent in format. We do understand that data entry for hours on end becomes repetitive, so we have built-in filing and copying time to vary your days and to keep your eyes sharp.
- Read customer and shipping orders submitted in person, via the print catalog and online; decipher handwriting that can be hard to read
- Key data into specific Microsoft Excel fields (much of the work for the online orders should already be done for you); 10 percent of orders tend to be in person, 15 percent via catalog and the rest online
- Read and key in data from other source documents, such as credit card payments and canceled checks
- Verify that the data is accurate before you enter it
- Ensure that data is consistent throughout the system (example: if a customer has moved to a new address, you would check that the new address is in other pertinent places in the system, including in the “Marketing” file)
- Report any data errors or anomalies to your supervisor
- Keep accurate and updated logs of ongoing work
- Perform filing, copying and other administrative duties for about two hours per day; expect to spend about six hours daily on data entry keying
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Microsoft Excel
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
- Patience for repetitive work
- Reading knowledge of Spanish (about five percent to 10 percent of our orders are in Spanish)
- One to two years of experience with data entry and/or filing
- Social perceptiveness
- Service orientation
Data Entry Keyer Job Responsibilities
There is a certain way to format the data entry keyer job responsibilities information in your job description that will be most effective. First, you should organize it as a bulleted list. Secondly, always start with a strong action verb. Finally, try to include between six and eight bullet points. If it is too long, it may intimidate readers. You should be aiming to make it accessible and inviting, so avoid a lengthy laundry lists of requirements.
Remember the responsibilities section is the part of your data entry keyer job description that tells jobseekers what their daily tasks will be like if you hire them. This is a good chance to sell the position as a beneficial working opportunity. This is usually the longest section in any job description, so include lots of strong information that explains the position.
These examples will help you when writing your own data entry keyer job description:
- Enter data into databases and spreadsheets based on information from checks, reports or bills
- Maintain and organize information to keep all data easily accessible at all times
- Compare source material with entered data to identify and fix all errors
- Report anomalies or errors to supervisors and follow instructions for correcting corporate mistakes quickly and accurately
Data Entry Keyer Job Specifications
The qualifications and skills section of your data entry keyer job description is an important part of the posting. It is one of the shortest sections, which makes many employers neglect developing it, but the information in this section is vital. You are essentially outlining data entry keyer job specifications so readers will understand if they are a good fit for the position. This means this section can determine how many applicants you receive.
Consider separating the information in this section into mandatory and preferred categories. The position of data entry keyer is typically an entry-level position, which means there will not be many mandatory requirements. Your business may consider a certain WPM or knowing a certain language mandatory, but most of the qualifications will be preferences. Fill this section out with skills and personal attributes to narrow down the kind of candidate who applies.
Below you will see some of the more highly valued qualities in a data entry employee that you can include in your data entry keyer job description:
- Bachelor degree in business or related field preferred
- Strong perception and good attention to small details
- Must have typing ability above 60 WPM
- Excellent written and oral communication skills