Position descriptions are a powerful tool that allow you to communicate the job expectations associated with a role in your company and focus recruitment efforts. They are an essential component of recruiting and managing employees. A well-written job description enables you to set employee and organizational goals and facilitate a smooth recruiting process. It also ensures that the applicants understand their roles and what they are required to do to be successful in the position. When you begin crafting the job description, consider developing career paths and opportunities for job growth. Make sure to describe the duties, tasks, and obligations accurately and succinctly, such as those included in the Database Manager job description sample, to ensure that you don’t waste time sifting through stacks of unqualified resumes.
Database Manager Job Description Sample
Below we have included a sample Database Manager job description to provide guidance to help you write a quality job description that will attract the best talent.
Database Manager Job Summary
You will be responsible for securely and correctly monitoring, maintaining, and designing computerized databases. A majority of your job involves creating and modeling databases, which means you will spend a significant amount of your time collaborating with users to identify the data they need to use, the frequency, what categories they require, and how you can make the process smoother for them. After developing the dataset, you will be responsible for testing it extensively to ensure accuracy. Data troubleshooting, security, backup, and integrity are critical parts of your job.
Database Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Enhances the effectiveness of database tools and services
- Assures that all data complies with legal regulations
- Ensures that information is backed-up, secured, and protected
- Reports regularly to top management teams
- Monitors database performance and improve the technology
- Builds new databases and troubleshoots issues
- Monitors data entry procedures
- Other duties as assigned
Database Manager Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in database management
- 2-4 years of experience designing, developing, and producing reports from a database application
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot software and hardware issues
GHA Development Enterprises is a global, non-profit social enterprise specializing in assessing technology management, systems requirements, and architectures for highly diversified computing environments. We design strategic solutions and extend quality resources to meet our clients’ strategic business needs by unleashing the power of market forces and innovation. For over 40 years, GHA has deployed its industry-based approach to design solutions that address the connections between process, people, and technology. Currently, our IT professionals throughout the world have helped myriad corporations meet their business and technology objectives.
Database Manager Job Responsibilities
A strong database manager job description requires a thorough list of the responsibilities that applicants can expect to take on should they gain employment at the company. An excellent list of responsibilities will fit into roughly five or six bullet points. Before you write, consider which responsibilities are most important and which are secondary. List the most important ones first, and when you can, group the secondary responsibilities into one or two final bullets.
Whatever you do, don’t skimp on listing responsibilities in your database manager job description. Even though a job description should be 700 words or fewer, most of those words belong to the responsibilities section. A thorough list allows applicants to imagine themselves in the position and helps them to gain interest in applying. A strong understanding of the duties involved ensures you only receive resumes from people who are truly interested in the position, which saves you time as you search for the right candidate.
As you consider the database manager job responsibilities, look at this example list for guidance:
- Establish standards, guidelines and quality assurance for database management systems and their deliverables, including capacity planning, data maintenance and security policy
- Assist designers with creating user interfaces for business application prototypes, and participate in quality assurance exercises
- Test current databases and modify them as necessary to correct errors
- Collaborate with other team members to coordinate development of new databases and determine the scope of the job
Database Manager Job Specifications
A quality database manager job description will include a list of specifications the applicant must meet if he or she wishes to apply for the position. This list is part of the skills and qualifications section. Bullet points are important to ensure the reader can easily digest the most important information. Divide specifications into requirements and preferences, and list them in order of importance. Don’t forget to include education and certification requirements as well as whether applicants must have experience using specific programs or coding languages.
Creating a detailed list of specifications is important to ensure you receive resumes from the right applicants. Without a well-written list, it will be harder for applicants to determine if they qualify for the position, which means you are more likely to receive many resumes from people who don’t have enough experience. If you aren’t sure of the specifications, talk to someone else in the department for help as you write the database manager job description.
This list of database manager job specifications can help you as you begin creating yours:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, engineering or a related technological field
- Strong understanding of relational and conventional database technology, tools and techniques, standard operating systems, database products and needs, and performance and tuning techniques
- Multi-tasking to work on multiple projects at once required
- Demonstrated ability to maintain accurate records and meet or exceed company goals
- Five or more years of experience preferred