Delivery truck drivers are tasked with transporting products from store locations, manufacturing facilities or product warehouses directly to consumers. Their deliveries are made using standard vehicles with a gross vehicular weight of under 26,000 pounds (anything larger may require a commercial carrier license). Thus, such drivers typically only deliver online or in-store orders as opposed to bulk purchases.
As the delivery services driver job description template shown here demonstrates, a strong understanding of the skills and experiences that the ideal candidate should possess is needed to create an effective listing. Those seeking this position should be familiar with the local area or at least have access to navigational tools to assist them with their deliveries.
In most cases, delivery drivers must also have a clear criminal record (other than moving violations and traffic citations). The delivery services driver job description will show you exactly how to structure your listing.
Delivery Services Driver Job Summary
If you’re interested in providing a valuable service to members of your local community, we have just the opportunity you’ve been searching for. As a member of our delivery driver fleet, you can assist others by transporting grocery orders to customers’ homes. This job will give you the chance to become much more familiar with the local area, both by driving its streets and interacting with its residents. You’ll learn valuable critical thinking, time and resource management skills. You’ll also have the chance to network with both our own internal managers and supervisors as well as with outside vendors with whom we work to procure special products and services. You’ll report to our grocery manager and have access to the vehicles in our own delivery fleet.
- Deliver grocery orders to customers within service area
- Receive purchase orders directly from grocery manager and work with stocking clerks to find ordered products either in warehouse or in the store
- Prepare shipping boxes and use them to store all products included in an order safely and securely in delivery vehicles
- Coordinate with outside vendors to secure specialty products not found in inventory, and arrange pickup times to procure such items for orders
- Work with the other drivers in grocery delivery fleet to manage routes in order to optimize both delivery times, fuel consumption and general wear-and-tear to delivery vehicles
- Assist customers with carrying items into their homes, if needed
- Perform inspection of warehouse daily in conjunction with store inventory clerk to help complete supply orders to ensure immediate access to inventory at all times
- Work with both the store and grocery managers to maintain fleet vehicles, reporting performance issues as they arise, fulfilling daily refueling schedules, and scheduling routine maintenance and repair visits with local auto service providers
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license with clean criminal record
- Must be able to lift at least 20 pounds
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Past experience in delivery or grocery services or the hospitality industry
- Familiarity with local roads and highways
- Excellent customer service skills
With the delivery services driver job description provided here, you’ll be able to create a listing that’s virtually guaranteed to pique the interest of qualified job seekers. Yet the task of finding those job seekers becomes your next big challenge after creating your posting. If you have an actual brick-and-mortar store from which you operate, you may consider positing it there to see if any of your current customers are interested. Leaving the listing with local technical colleges teaching CDL classes is another good idea, as is positing your listing on online job boards.
What’s nice about online boards is that there may be hundreds to choose from (many of which you’re likely not aware of). You can save yourself time and resources, plus the effort of researching these job search sites on your own, by working with MightyRecruiter to access online channels that offer free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter