Design engineers help make product ideas a reality by working out the technical aspects of a design, including materials, appearance, functional features and product safety. They may estimate production costs and manufacturing feasibility.
A background in art, design and engineering will help a person be successful as a design engineer. Other essential qualities for this role include mechanical and computer skills as well as problem-solving and analytical skills, so don’t forget to list these things in your design engineer job description.
Because workers in this field often work as part of a team of designers, good organization, communication and interpersonal skills are indispensable. Examine the design engineer job description template below to get a better feel for how you should advertise this position within your company.
Design Engineer Job Summary
Are you an experienced designer with a sharp understanding of production processes and designing for manufacturing? Do you know your way around CAD programs, 3-D printers and product testing strategies? Would you refer to yourself as a problem-solver? Our company is seeking a design engineer with at least five years of experience to work with our in-house product concept team. In this engaging role, you would have the freedom to experiment with multiple processes, technologies and tools to help make our products come alive. If you are a lifelong tinkerer with an educational background in engineering and design, we would love to hear from you today.
- Collaborate with clients and in-house design, engineering and production teams to create and troubleshoot concepts and prototypes as part of the product development process
- Create mockups, sketches, drafts and blueprints using a wide variety of materials, including both traditional drafting and sketching tools and computer-aided technology
- Brainstorm with clients and team to refine and enhance prototypes or revisit successful products for updating
- Estimate production costs, including time, tools, labor and materials needed to produce, market, distribute and replenish final product on client’s desired schedule
- Study distribution opportunities as well as availability of maintenance services if a product goes to market
- Research manufacturing feasibility and present findings to the team for troubleshooting and fine-tuning of production timeline
- Participate in design and product review to bring planned or prototyped products into closer alignment with client and creator vision as well as popular and market demand
- Contribute to the design of marketing collateral, including product manuals and specification documents, as well as coherent packaging and advertising imagery
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in 3-D design or mechanical engineering
- Open, collaborative communication style
- Ability to take criticism and rework a design from scratch
- 5 or more years of experience with 3-D modeling
- Strong knowledge of CAD
- Experience with cost estimation and inventory projection
- Experience as part of a brainstorming or engineering team
Now that you have some ideas about how to write your design engineer job description, spend some time fine-tuning it before you send it out into the world. If you have people on your team who already fulfill a similar role, ask them what they would add or emphasize. Once you are satisfied with your employment ad, make sure everyone in your organization has access to a copy to distribute to family and friends.
Don’t forget to post your ad on your website, too, and check to make sure your links are working before sharing them on social media. When you are ready to give your job opening an even wider circulation, consider using MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards all over the internet in one go.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter