Diagnostic medical sonographers operate specific imaging equipment to carry out tests or create images to help diagnose certain medical conditions. Some typical duties include taking medical histories and explaining procedures to patients, preparing and operating imaging equipment, reviewing images for abnormalities and recording data in patients’ records.
When creating your diagnostic medical sonographer job description, make sure to include the important qualities that make a good sonographer. Applicants should be detail oriented in order to follow precise instructions and make proper diagnoses. They also should comprehend how to operate computerized instruments and complex machinery. In addition, being a diagnostic medical sonographer calls for physical stamina and hand-eye coordination.
Because a sonographer spends much of his or her time with patients, great interpersonal skills and compassion are important qualities. To see how to fit these elements into your diagnostic medical sonographer job description, check out the following example.
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Job Summary
As a diagnostic medical sonographer at our company, you will be able to deliver high-quality care to our patients. We have a patient-first mentality, and your commitment to providing superior care will help continue to serve our surrounding communities. You will be working in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, and every day will be varied. You will perform non-invasive tests, such as DVT, arterial Doppler, venous Doppler, carotid Doppler and fetal ultrasounds per physicians’ orders. Along with demonstrating the necessary technical skills, you will also be in charge of maintaining the equipment and supplies and participating in safety and quality control. If you possess drive, talent and intellectual curiosity, this job is right for you.
- Operate sonography equipment to record and produce images of the composition, shape and motion of organs, blood, tissues or bodily masses
- Select the correct equipment settings and adjust to get the best angles and sites
- Scan patient and observe screen to make sure the image is satisfactory and make equipment adjustments as needed
- Prepare patients for exams and observe during procedures to ensure their comfort and safety
- Determine the best images to include in your report, noting differences between pathological and healthy areas
- Use the radiology computer system to properly record exams and track patients
- Troubleshoot and resolve equipment malfunctions and order repairs as necessary
- Follow safety policies that are applicable to the job, recognize potential issues and institute measures to prevent complications
- Perform ethical and legal duties, such as obtaining written consent, preparing accident reports or reporting signs of neglect/abuse
- Practice sterile procedures and prevent cross contamination
- Maintain cleanliness and order of work stations, rooms and equipment
- Follow HIPAA rules to protect patients’ confidentiality and privacy
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree
- Minimum two years of experience as a sonographer
- RVT certification
- Experience performing ECHO and vascular
- Bachelor’s degree
- ACLS certification
- BLS certification
- Spanish as a second language
It is essential to write an engaging diagnostic medical sonographer job description that includes all of the key elements demonstrated in the above example. It is equally important to post the description where eligible jobseekers will see it. While your company’s website is a good start, you will probably reach more people by posting it on social networking sites and online job boards.
There are hundreds of online job boards you can post your job description on. However, it can take a lot of time and drain your energy if you post on each one individually. Instead, take advantage of MightyRecruiter, a service that will post jobs for free on multiple boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter