Hiring someone for an open position can be challenging. Most hiring managers spend their time sorting through irrelevant resume after irrelevant resume in the hopes of finding a few qualified applicants. Did you know that if you create a well-written and informative job description, you can make hiring a new employee easier? A clear post will share important information about the position and company, while making it clear what sort of qualifications an applicant has to have. Use the following well-written Diesel Technician/Mechanic job description sample to help you write your own standout post.
Diesel Technician/Mechanic Job Summary
You will be expected to inspect, maintain and repair diesel engines. You will have to use diagnostic computer software to aid you in servicing these engines. You will work alongside other diesel technicians/mechanics to ensure the best end results.
Diesel Technician/Mechanic Job Responsibilities
- Make various adjustments, alignments and repairs to correct any vehicle deficiencies
- Conduct inspections, test drives and diagnostic tests to determine the condition of the vehicles
- Test engine safety and combustion control standards to comply with federal and state vehicle requirements
- Clean, wash and paint vehicles to maintain appearance
- Record services and repairs to maintain accurate vehicle records
- Complete preventative maintenance, install part upgrades, winterize vehicles and control corrosion to keep vehicles available
- Follow operating instruction, troubleshoot breakdowns, maintain supplies, perform preventative maintenance and call for repairs to keep shop equipment operational
- Place orders and keep stock of inventory to ensure necessary supplies at hand
- Collaborate with coworkers to get repairs done in a timely manner
- Stay up-to-date on industry advances by reading publication, talking with peers, continuing education and joining industry-related forums
Diesel Technician/Mechanic Job Requirements
- Vocational training in Diesel Mechanics or equivalent experience
- 1-3 years of experience in related field
- Proven knowledge of engine components
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- Follow instructions
- Ability to work with hands important
- Documentation skills an advantage
- Inventory control an advantage
- Ability to foster relationships with coworkers and customers an advantage
Buster’s Diesel Garage has been serving the New Jersey area since 1999. We are both tech-oriented and customer service focused in the hopes that we will be able to provide innovative answers to customer needs. We offer a great, fast-paced and fun environment where you can both learn and work.
Job Description Best Practices
- Using the Diesel Technician/Mechanic job description sample can help you get an idea of where to start. However, each job description has to have unique information that is only relevant to your company and position opening if you really want your post to stand apart from the rest. That means you have to not only use the outline above, but also know what specific information to include.
- Job Title: Your job title should be specific and concise. It is better to use the title “Diesel Technician/Mechanic” than it is to use “Mechanic” because the former is much more specific.
- Job Summary: You summary should be between two and four sentences that showcase the major responsibilities of the position.
- Job Responsibilities: You want to use action-based language for your five to ten major tasks. Try using a task-benefit format as displayed above.
- Job Requirements: Use specific requirements to help weed out the unqualified applicants.
- Company Profile: If you can make your company stand out by discussing the values, mission and environment, it will help in your search for an employee.
- Benefits: Consult your company’s policies to find out if you can include specific salary and benefit information.
- Location: Be clear about where the position is located and whether or not travel will be required.
- Hierarchy: Let the readers know who the direct supervisor is and whether or not anyone will be reporting to the person in this position.
- Submission Guidelines: Make sure your submission guidelines are clear and easy, so your applicants don’t feel like they have to jump through hoops just to apply.
- Format: Use short paragraphs and bullet points to make your post as reader friendly as possible.
- Keywords: Include industry specific keywords to help your description show up on search engines.
- Call to Action: Consider including a call to action at the end that will encourage readers to apply.
As you write your own post, use the best practices and the Diesel Technician/Mechanic job description sample to ensure you create the best post possible. Stop attracting unqualified applicants. Create a specific and clear job description, so you can attract the top talent in the industry and make your job of hiring a new employee easy.
Want to use this job description?
Diesel Technician Job Responsibilities
Compiling a list of essential diesel technician job responsibilities is necessary when writing a diesel technician job description. In fact, the job responsibilities section is the most detailed portion of the whole document. Listing the daily tasks associated with the position helps attract qualified applicants. It’s important to focus on the duties that pertain to the needs of your particular company and provide enough details to effectively filter out any under-qualified jobseekers.
Along with ensuring your content is grammatically correct and technically accurate, you can use bullet points to increase the readability of your job responsibilities section. Bullet points allow you to organize your requirements and communicate your expectations in a clear manner that won’t overwhelm potential new hires. Limiting your list to eight bullet points or fewer and using concise language can also work to achieve this purpose and eliminate submissions by unlikely candidates.
The following job qualifications may serve as examples to help you when writing your own diesel technician job description:
- Inspect diesel vehicles and identify issues through diagnostic tests, test drives, physical examinations and visual inspections
- Operate hydraulic jacks or hoists to safely raise and lower vehicles and other equipment
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil and checking batteries
- Install emissions control systems in accordance with pollution control regulations
- Maintain records of services for clients and the company
- Uphold engine safety standards in accordance with federal and state vehicle requirements
Diesel Technician Job Specifications
Though it may not seem like it, the diesel technician job specifications are important components of the diesel technician job description. You will spend more of your own time sorting through applications that don’t match the position’s criteria if you don’t clearly establish the minimum standards of qualification for those seeking employment. You may include focus on requirements related to education, technical skills and personality traits.
Making separate lists of non-negotiable and flexible requirements for your job qualifications and skills section might prove beneficial as you gather information concerning the position. Speaking to someone within the company who has knowledge of the job, such as a lead mechanic, can help you accomplish this task. Identifying the skills and attributes that a future employee must possess helps filter out under-qualified applicants by giving them a clear picture of the background and experience needed for this particular role in the company.
The following is a list of job specifications that will help you determine what to include when creating a diesel technician job description:
- High school diploma required, college degree preferred
- Ability to lift and operate heavy machinery
- Experience working on diesel engines and managing tools and equipment
- Familiarity with vehicle inspection software and equipment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug test