Dietary aides work under the leadership of dieticians in medical and food service facilities. They follow the guidelines of specific nutritional dietary programs. They help prepare food and drinks according to individual dietary requirements.
To write a great dietary aide job description, you should indicate what the must-haves are for the position. Most companies won’t hire someone for this job without a high school diploma or an equivalent. Experience in food service or health care may also be required to be successful in this role.
Excellent dietary aides are able to follow both verbal and written directions accurately. They must be incredibly detail-oriented and dependable in their position. In the dietary aide job description template below, you can get a clear idea of what this kind of job posting should look like.
Dietary Aide Job Summary
Are you looking to take your experience in food service into a new direction? Our hospital organization is looking for enthusiastic and reliable individuals to work in our nutrition services department as dietary aides. You will have the chance to assist and learn from our highly qualified certified dieticians with meal planning and food preparation for hospital patients. You will put your knowledge and attention to detail to good use to put together each patient’s meal depending on their specific dietary requirements. If you are dedicated to improving the patient’s meal experience and providing tasty, nutritional food to those who patronize our hospital, this is the job for you.
- Make meals for patients depending on specific dietary guidelines recommended by nutritionists, dieticians and physicians
- Prepare individual meals for patients in special circumstances or on limited diets, such as gluten-free, liquids only, low-fat, low-calorie, dairy-free or vegetarian
- Review planned menus for the hospital with other nutritional services staff, and create new menus for patients in the future
- Follow all appropriate food safety guidelines by avoiding cross-contamination and making sure all food is stored at the appropriate temperatures
- Wash dishes, trays and utensils after meals are consumed and returned back to the food services kitchen from the patient’s room
- Record information about consumption amounts by each patient on specific dietary instructions, and share the details with the dietary supervisor
- Maintain a clean and orderly workspace by wiping surfaces with cleaners, organizing supplies and keeping all materials separated and tidy
- Wear the appropriate kitchen staff gear to ensure safe food handling, such as gloves, hair nets, aprons and other items essential to the uniform
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or an equivalent certificate
- Experience working in a food service facility
- Ability to obtain a safe food-handling certificate
- Ability to lift at least 50 pounds
- Background working in nutritional services in a hospital or healthcare setting
People working in food service in the restaurant industry may have a desire to change their job focus and work as a dietary aide. That’s why it’s important to get your dietary aide job description right. When you are able to widen your potential range of job applicants, you could get more qualified people to interview and eventually hire.
Those who already have experience working in medical facilities as dietary aides may find your job posting by looking online at your organization’s website. Sometimes, large hospital organizations hold job fairs. The best way to get more people interested in your position is to post your job online. Popular job boards are where most candidates start their search, and you can get onto these boards quickly by using MightyRecruiter to help you post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter