A dietetic technician acts as an assistant to a dietitian. A tech may create diet plans for patients and advise them on how to make healthy choices, and they may handle documentation and work long-term with patients. However, the work a technician does is always under the supervision of a dietician.
A dietetic technician job description should outline that a candidate needs to have compassion for patients and an educational background that provides her or him with the knowledge needed to guide people towards healthy eating. Administrative skills are also important for this particular career.
A technician should be able to work independently while following guidelines set by the lead dietitian. As you construct your dietetic technician job description, you can look over the following example for assistance with what to include.
Dietetic Technician Job Summary
We are a residential care facility for the elderly and are looking for a full-time dietetic technician to assist our lead dietician. You will work closely with the kitchen and nursing staff to help ensure our patients are getting the best nutrition possible. You should love working with seniors and enjoy being part of a team. We are a lively environment with residents who are young at heart and love to have fun. To fit in, you need to have an upbeat personality. However, we do take our commitment to the health of our residents seriously. You will be dealing with a range of dietary restrictions and requirements, and accuracy is key. We’ll offer you great hours, a range of benefits and a family-like team of professionals.
- Supervise food production to ensure accuracy at fulfilling resident orders, along with occasionally preparing meals and snacks
- Maintain records for each patient and review records with dietician, specifically going over any new developments or issues observed
- Monitor residents as they eat to ensure they are getting the proper nutrition and eating the foods that have been prepared for them, stepping in to fix any issues observed
- Create referral recommendations for the dietitian for any patient having nutritional or eating issues
- Produce inventory records and monitor food costs to help keep them within the guidelines of the set budget while making recommendations for changes to help cut costs whenever possible
- Test new menus or food items for nutritional analysis and reception by residents
- Design and deliver presentations, lectures and speeches on dietary issues relevant to residents and seniors in general on a constant basis
- Monitor food safety in preparation, handling, storage and service closely
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate’s degree in nutrition or dietetics
- Experience working with a licensed dietitian
- Registered with the American Dietetic Association
- Licensed with the state dietetic association
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, dietetics or a related field
- Experience working in a senior living facility
It is important to put together a dietetic technician job description that is clear and polished. You want to put your best foot forward to attract the most qualified candidates. In addition, it is important that you post the job description in the right spots to make them visible to the largest pool of candidates, which means posting online.
You should begin with sharing your description on your own website and social media pages. Then, make sure to post on job boards. These boards will allow you to cast the widest net and reach the best possible candidates. Posting to each board, though, takes a lot of time. To make the most out of using job boards, you should use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on several different boards all at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter