A director of finance is responsible for maintaining the finances of a company or organization by regularly preparing financial statements, creating business activity reports and providing financial forecasts for the near future. He or she may review financial reports and suggest places to cut costs, monitor finances to ensure compliance with legal requirements and analyze market trends to capitalize on expansion opportunities and maximize profits. A director of finance is a supervisory position that requires helping employees with financial reporting and budgeting.
When creating your director of finance job description, include the importance of being detail-oriented and having excellent math skills. A director of finance should also be highly organized.
Applicants must also have excellent communication skills. Find out more about what to include in your director of finance job description by reading the one below and applying the information to your own company.
Director of Finance Job Summary
Did you do math for fun as a kid? Do you understand what PEMDAS means? Can you recite pi to a crazy number of digits? If you love dealing with numbers, we’d love to have you on our team. As director of finance at our company, you will spend your days crunching numbers and using your findings to help us minimize costs and maximize profits. Put your talents as a dynamic individual to good use by communicating with a team of financial managers and providing guidance when necessary. This job is the perfect mashup of social skills and analytical skills, allowing you to evenly split your time between working alone and communicating with your peers to complete team projects.
- Establish and enforce policies and procedures for company finances by creating department budgets, determining where to cut costs and deciding when the company will best benefit from expansion
- Make investments for the company to minimize cash balances, limit risk and maximize return on investments
- Collect key financial data, interpret the information and create reports for presentation to company directors to ensure they have a thorough understanding of the company’s financial condition
- Use knowledge of local, state and federal regulations by researching current legislation, remaining updated on the progress of pending legislation and consulting with outside advisors to ensure compliance
- Audit financials of specific departments when required
- Hire, train and supervise financial management staff, including improving employee morale and consulting with human resources to take corrective action when necessary
- Oversee bookkeeping and accounting by using appropriate software to maintain the company’s general ledger as well as payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Manage capital asset acquisition to ensure each asset is property recorded and amortized as well as disposed of when necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Finance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and financial management software
- At least three years’ experience in the position or in a similar position
- CPA qualification is a plus
Writing a director of finance job description that attracts qualified applicants and helps you fill the position is just the first part of the process. Once written, you must ensure your job description gets in front of the right people by posting it in as many relevant places as possible.
In addition to job boards, post your job description on forums directly related to your industry as well as on the career page of your website. Many applicants seek job information on Twitter and Facebook, so consider linking to the job description from the company’s social media accounts. MightyRecruiter can help you start the process by creating free job postings on hundreds of job boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter