A director of human resources is responsible for planning, directing and coordinating an organization’s administrative functions. These directors oversee the staffing process, from recruiting and interviewing to hiring new staff members. They additionally consult with top executives for strategic planning. Their goal is to bridge the gap between management and employees.
If you are writing a director of human resources job description, you should include some essential skills and abilities if you want to locate top talent. For example, interpersonal skills are extremely important for directors of human resources. These professionals interact with people on a regular basis. Because they are the communicators of the organization, it is essential they develop positive working relationships.
Additionally, directors of human resources should have excellent leadership and organizational skills. To see how to incorporate important information and points into your description, check out the director of human resources job description template below.
Director of Human Resources Job Summary
Do you have a knack for communication and leadership? Do you enjoy motivating people and collaborating with team members to come up with plans and strategies? If so, you will fit in excellently as a director of human resources with our company. In this position, you will get the opportunity to work with new and existing employees, as well as top level executives. You will serve as the ultimate communicator to ensure all members of the company are on the same page. You will be responsible for selecting new talent for our team, training and various other employee-related services. If you seek a role where you will get to utilize your excellent communication skills and problem-solving abilities, consider a position with our company.
- Serve as a bridge between employees and management by handling questions, helping resolve problems regarding work and administering and interpreting contracts
- Advise managers on policy matters, including sexual harassment and equal employment opportunities and recommend changes when needed
- Plan, supervise, direct and coordinate the work activities of staff and subordinates relating to compensation, labor relations, employment and employee relations
- Analyze statistical data to identify the causes of personnel problems, then develop improvement recommendations for personnel practices and policies
- Perform staffing duties, including dealing with disputes, understaffing, firing employees and the administration of disciplinary procedures
- Plan and coordinate new employee orientation activities designed to create a positive attitude toward the objectives of the organization
- Provide existing and prospective employees with policy, job duty, wage, promotion opportunity, employee benefits and working conditions information
- Identify vacant positions and recruit, select and interview applicants, ensuring they are an excellent fit for the organization and its goals
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in human resource management or a related business field
- Minimum of five years of experience working in a human resources department
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Exceptional ability to communicate, motivate and lead
- Previous experience as a human resources manager
- Extensive experience with the administration of employee programs and policies
Writing an outstanding director of human resources job description is essential if you want to find seasoned and talented candidates to fill your position. However, writing the description is only step one. Now it is time to utilize various means to get your description out there so your potential candidates can see it. Social networks are low cost and very effective when it comes to reaching the target audience, and referrals from your employees are also helpful.
You must not forget about job boards as well when posting your job description. Job boards are great if you want to reach many candidates at once, but it can be time consuming to post to many. Fortunately, MightyRecruiter can help you post to multiple job boards at the same time for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter