Directors of nursing oversee nursing assistants, home health aides and licensed practical nurses, as well as other nursing staff. Someone in this managerial position may set schedules, teach courses, run community outreach programs and care for patients.
As you search for a director of nursing, you may be looking for a candidate with specific skills. Consider including communication, leadership and negotiation in the skills section of your director of nursing job description.
Having good judgement can also help a director of nursing create successful programs and hire responsible nurses. Compassion can help your employee provide top-notch care to patients. Use the professional director of nursing job description template to get a better idea of other elements you may also want to include in your own write up.
Director of Nursing Job Summary
Do you look forward to caring for others by planning patient care, administering medicines, performing diagnostic tests and operating medical equipment? Do you enjoy creating a strong foundation for young nurses to build a flourishing career on by providing guidance and educational courses? If you do, you could find happiness as the next director of nursing at our medical facility. This fast-paced, caring environment gives you the perfect place to implement new community outreach programs and innovative patient care techniques all while working as a part of a dedicated team. You get the chance to make a difference and enrich the lives of countless patients and their families right when you start as the director of nursing.
- Schedule nurses, aides and practitioners to make sure the staff is used in the best way possible and all of the patients will be cared for
- Provide top-of-the-line care to patients by giving them medicine, reading equipment and diagnosing diseases or injuries
- Teach educational nursing courses to keep those under you up to date on the newest technology and patient care procedures
- Counsel patients on self-care and the potential side effects drug regimens can have so they fully understand their options and how to take care of themselves
- Create community outreach programs designed to educate the public on staying healthy, living with diabetes and planning for families
- Develop patient treatment plans using standard of care, scientific rationale and professional practice policies as guidelines
- Stay educated on common payer systems, such as managed care, Medicare, private insurance and Medicaid, to help patients through the process
- Maintain detailed records of patient history to make it easier for doctors and other medical professionals to help the patients during their stay and in the future
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master in Nursing or related field
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to negotiate contracts
- Good leadership abilities
- Strong judgement-making skills
- Technical understanding of medical tools, such as cardiac monitors, suctioning equipment and pacemakers
- Understanding of Microsoft Access
- Compassionate and patient disposition
Finding top candidates is an important part of the hiring process. Your director of nursing job description can attract skilled applicants who may be able to fit in well at your company. However, writing the post is only the first step in the hiring process. Next, you need to make it possible for applicants to see it. Using social media, company webpages and online job boards simultaneously can make it easier for a large audience to see your advertisement.
While putting your description up in so many places can help you find a better employee, it can also be a time-consuming process. Fortunately, there is an easier way to post to hundreds of job boards simultaneously. You can post to free job boards through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter