Directors of sales are usually the highest managerial professional in the sales department. They are responsible for overseeing both the performance of sales representatives and sales managers. It is uncommon for directors of sales to make sales calls as well, although it is sometimes required. Instead, these professionals are tasked with implementing strategies and training programs to ensure the entire sales staff are informed and capable so all sales goals can be met.
The most important quality for you to include on your director of sales job description is leadership and management abilities. This is at the core of the position, so all candidates must have firm management skills. It is also helpful for them to have an understanding of sales.
Secondary skills you can incorporate include analysis, communication and decision making. To learn the best way to implement these requirements, review the following director of sales job description.
Director of Sales Job Summary
Are you a strong leader with extensive business management experience and a firm understanding of sales? If so, we are looking for you. We have a dynamic team of sales representatives and account managers, but we are looking for a capable and professional director of sales to head up the entire department. You have the strategic and motivational abilities to work with employees in order to meet and surpass sales quotas while maintaining customer satisfaction and building relationships with new clients. Come lead our sales team and put your administrative, analytical and management skills to good use in this director of sales position.
- Oversee the performance of account managers and sales representatives, ensuring sales employees are successfully closing sales and managers are enabling them to do so
- Review the sales numbers, identifying areas in need of improvement and implementing strategies to make these improvements
- Compile sales reports into one universal report on a monthly basis which incorporates the entire department’s performance
- Present information to board of directors at the end of each quarter, pointing out areas in need of improvement and proposing major operational shifts or training programs to meet company-wide goals
- Direct and coordinate the performance of sales representatives to meet client needs
- Manage inventory numbers, tracking shipping and receiving to ensure the inventory is always enough to meet the sales numbers
- Confer with sales account managers to help them manage the entire sales staff effectively
- Identify sales issues and resolve them quickly with the help of account managers and individual sales representatives if necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in sales, business management or other executive field
- Five years minimum of working experience in higher management
- Master degree in business management related field
- 10 years’ experience in sales
Director of Sales Job Responsibilities
You need an engaging director of sales job description if you want to attract the best job candidates to apply to the position, and that means you need an exceptionally well-written job responsibilities section. As you develop this section, hone in on what it’s like to perform the director of sales job on a day-to-day basis, and keep this section laser-focused on the items of greatest significance to avoid losing the attention of your readers. Six bullet points at most is a good rule of thumb.
As it composes the largest and most conspicuous portion of your director of sales job description, the job responsibilities section is your best chance to wow potential applicants. Be sure that you don’t drop the ball here. Avoid spelling and grammar errors at all costs. Proofread your writing twice for extra insurance.
If you’re unsure where to begin, allow these examples of director of sales job responsibilities to help stimulate your thought processes:
- Establish periodic national and regional sales targets based on performance projections, and monitor and report on progress to company leadership
- Develop and oversee the execution of national and regional sales programs, and keep sales managers accountable for timely and effective deployment of sales action plans
- Collaborate with company leadership in maintaining ongoing corporate profit by analyzing marketing trends and developing responsive sales strategies
- Supervise and partner with sales managers in adjusting product pricing as needed to maintain the company’s competitive edge
Director of Sales Job Specifications
In contrast to the job responsibilities section, where crafting appealing content is key, the job qualifications and skills section of your director of sales job description needs to perform like a lean, mean fighting machine. Tighten up this section until it slices right to your main points like a fin through water, and you’ll ensure that your job candidate search is relatively straightforward and painless.
After all, the main task of this section is to dissuade unqualified jobseekers from applying to the position outlined in your director of sales job description. Keep that foremost in your mind as you flesh out this section, and you’ll avoid needlessly wasting time later.
Browsing through the following examples of director of sales job specifications is an effortless way to kindle some new ideas as you get started:
- Undergraduate degree in marketing, economics, business or the equivalent (graduate degree preferred)
- Minimum of nine years of sales experience, including at least five years served at the supervisory level with a track record of continually increasing responsibility
- Proven sales performance history clearly demonstrating the ability to drive business
- Outstanding planning, time management and interpersonal skills
- Ability and readiness to travel frequently to all regional locations to provide hands-on oversight and guidance to regional sales managers, including some nights, weekends and holidays