Directors of sales are usually the highest managerial professional in the sales department. They are responsible for overseeing both the performance of sales representatives and sales managers. It is uncommon for directors of sales to make sales calls as well, although it is sometimes required. Instead, these professionals are tasked with implementing strategies and training programs to ensure the entire sales staff are informed and capable so all sales goals can be met.
The most important quality for you to include on your director of sales job description is leadership and management abilities. This is at the core of the position, so all candidates must have firm management skills. It is also helpful for them to have an understanding of sales.
Secondary skills you can incorporate include analysis, communication and decision making. To learn the best way to implement these requirements, review the following director of sales job description.
Director of Sales Job Summary
Are you a strong leader with extensive business management experience and a firm understanding of sales? If so, we are looking for you. We have a dynamic team of sales representatives and account managers, but we are looking for a capable and professional director of sales to head up the entire department. You have the strategic and motivational abilities to work with employees in order to meet and surpass sales quotas while maintaining customer satisfaction and building relationships with new clients. Come lead our sales team and put your administrative, analytical and management skills to good use in this director of sales position.
- Oversee the performance of account managers and sales representatives, ensuring sales employees are successfully closing sales and managers are enabling them to do so
- Review the sales numbers, identifying areas in need of improvement and implementing strategies to make these improvements
- Compile sales reports into one universal report on a monthly basis which incorporates the entire department’s performance
- Present information to board of directors at the end of each quarter, pointing out areas in need of improvement and proposing major operational shifts or training programs to meet company-wide goals
- Direct and coordinate the performance of sales representatives to meet client needs
- Manage inventory numbers, tracking shipping and receiving to ensure the inventory is always enough to meet the sales numbers
- Confer with sales account managers to help them manage the entire sales staff effectively
- Identify sales issues and resolve them quickly with the help of account managers and individual sales representatives if necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in sales, business management or other executive field
- Five years minimum of working experience in higher management
- Master degree in business management related field
- 10 years’ experience in sales
Once you have finished writing your director of sales job description, it is time to move on to the next stage of hiring by advertising the job opening. It is common to post the description through social media or on the careers section of your company website. One particularly beneficial option is to post the opening on online job boards. These sites are designed for job seekers, which makes it easier to attract more candidates.
MightyRecruiter offers free posting tools to make it easier to take advantage of online job boards. Through our hiring expertise, it is possible to post your job description to hundreds of boards at the same time. This means that more talented professionals can be attracted and hired. Start your search for a new director of sales on the right foot by turning to MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter