Drafters generally use manual and computer-aided methods to create detailed technical drawings and blueprints using information from engineers and designers. Most electrical drafters specialize in creating in-depth wiring diagrams used to install and repair electrical systems in everything from equipment to power plants to large buildings.
It’s important to include the appropriate educational background in your electrical drafter job description, such as an associate degree or drafting certificate from a vocational school. Electrical drafters must have a firm grasp of math, computer technology and electrical circuits.
Strong electrical drafter candidates should be detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to produce accurate deliverables within deadlines. Interpersonal skills are also essential to make collaboration with engineers and designers effective. Look through the electrical drafter job description below to get more ideas for your own job listing.
Electrical Drafter Job Summary
If you have experience in electrical drafting and want a challenging job in a fast-paced, interesting environment, join our team and work directly with engineers to create high-quality technical drafts and schematics. Our company works on a wide variety of projects from residential wiring to full electrical substation designs, so you will have the chance to enjoy diverse tasks and broaden your professional experience. You will work closely with supportive engineers and designers who encourage creative thinking and innovative solutions. We believe in helping each of our employees fulfill his or her career goals, so we offer professional development courses and several advancement opportunities along with competitive pay and benefits.
- Create accurate, detailed technical plans for electrical systems using computer-aided design programs to convert specifications and design information from engineers into schematics and blueprints
- Collect, study and combine rough sketches and initial design ideas from engineers into coherent technical drafts for further study and review by project managers
- Prepare comprehensive wiring diagrams for electrical equipment, power substations and residential and commercial buildings according to project objectives, design information and engineering specifications
- Check that final technical drafts include all relevant information in an easy-to-read format, and verify that calculations, measurements and units are accurate based on initial design information from engineers
- Review technical drafts as needed according to verbal or written instructions from project managers, engineering team and clients
- Participate in design process by supporting engineers and designers, contributing ideas and information and creating rough sketches and diagrams of electrical wiring and systems on the fly
- Assist designers and project managers as needed in preparing technical documents and presentation slides for meetings with clients and investors, and help sales team create materials for tradeshows and conferences
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree in drafting or CAD, or four years of relevant work experience
- Proficient with AutoCAD, Revit and Microsoft Office
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of electrical circuitry and design
- ADDA Certification
- Draft experience related to electrical substation design
Even the best electrical drafter job description is only effective if it’s posted where qualified candidates can see it. Once you’ve fine-tuned your job listing, you need to decide where to post it in the myriad of online job sites. Most recruiters find that posting in several areas at once yields the right amount of responses from high-quality jobseekers.
You can post your listing on free and paid job boards and professional social networks. Some recruiters also create referral programs for current employees that allow them to recommend people that meet the job requirements. With a multi-part hiring campaign like this, it’s important to figure out the most efficient way to complete all the steps to reduce the time it takes to hire the right candidate. Consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of online boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter