Now that you’re ready to starting writing an emergency medical technician job description, you need to state the daily responsibilities. Emergency medical technicians are the first responders to car accidents, medical emergencies and other crises. They check vital signs, deliver lifesaving medical treatment, stabilize critical patients and transport them to local hospitals.
It’s important for a potential candidate to be well equipped for this tough job. They’ll need to have a high school diploma or an equivalency and either an associate degree or postsecondary training in emergency medical technician skills. It’s also required that the person you hire is certified as an EMT.
Additionally, you may want to look for other skills for a top candidate. Someone who is caring, physically strong, excellent at solving problems and calm in stressful situations is ideal. Take a look at the emergency medical technician job description template posting below for more ideas.
Emergency Medical Technician Job Summary
Are you looking for a job in a fast-paced environment where each day is unique and exciting? Are you able to make quick decisions and stay focused in life-threatening moments? If you answered yes to these questions, we may have a place for you on our paramedic team as an emergency medical technician. As an EMT, you would be confronted with life or death situations each day, and you would be responsible for resuscitating people, delivering life-saving first aid and transporting patients safely to the hospital. If you are ready to truly impact people’s lives, then this is the right path for you.
- Deliver life-saving treatment and first aid to patients in critical situations in the field, at residences and wherever help is needed
- Support patient vital signs by using electrocardiogram equipment, defibrillators, bag mask valve resuscitators and other tools to stabilize a patient’s condition
- Administer emergency treatments when a patient’s life is in danger, such as airway clearing, stomach pumping and heart diagnostic monitoring
- Treat patients by starting intravenous drug therapy or administering oral drug medication when recommended by physicians
- Summarize a patient’s condition and treatments attempted to the on-duty physician or medical team upon arrival at the hospital
- Operate the emergency medical vehicle after receiving instructions from medical dispatch units and transport patients to the closest hospital facility
- Oversee the operation and condition of the emergency medical vehicle and restock any medical supplies after the end of each shift
- Maintain a high level of understanding of medical knowledge and emergency treatments and procedures by routinely attending trainings and classes each month
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalency
- Postsecondary training in emergency medical services
- State certification as an emergency medical technician
- Experience operating an emergency vehicle
- Excellent judgment and critical thinking ability
- Ability to work in a variety of outdoor and indoor settings
Finding the best person to hire for your emergency medical technician job opening can be a tough process if you don’t have the knowledge and understanding of the market for jobseekers today. For most of today’s jobseekers, the internet is the best resource for finding a great job.
While some EMT candidates are referred to potential job openings from friends or former colleagues, the easiest and most effective way to attract a large number of potential new hires is by posting to hundreds of popular job boards online. If you don’t have the time to devote to this monumental task for your emergency medical technician job description, you can use MightyRecruiter to help you post jobs for free effortlessly and efficiently.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter