Engineering teachers lead courses related to the application of the physical laws and principles of engineering across a wide range of specializations, including chemical, electrical, mechanical, industrial and civil engineering.
Engineering is a highly technical field, but to teach the subject, candidates need the ability to develop rapport with students and explain technical ideas in an understandable and engaging manner. Use the skills section of your engineering teacher job description to explain the need for candidates to be able to translate engineering principles into language beginners can understand.
Since education requirements can vary widely depending on the type of courses taught and the type of institution, be sure to specify what kind of education and training you require of your candidates. Read the example below for more ideas of what to include in your engineering teacher job description.
Engineering Teacher Job Summary
City University is seeking an energetic and engaging engineering teacher to lead a variety of introductory and advanced courses in engineering design, mechanics, materials and manufacturing. If you have a technical mind and the desire to mentor the coming generation of engineering professionals, working as an engineering teacher at our university could be the perfect fit. We encourage all our instructors to engage in creative and dynamic teaching methods that will provide students with the hands-on experience they’ll need when they enter the job market. As a research institution, we support teachers in their individual research projects and provide the best materials and supplies necessary for engineering research.
- Carry a load of four courses per semester in various topics pertaining to mechanical engineering, including at least one introductory engineering course
- Develop courses in your specialization and participate in departmental curriculum and program development
- Assess student performance in adherence to departmental guidelines and make recommendations for advanced coursework based on student ability
- Advise students in the major, mentoring students who are completing their final projects and providing career guidance to those determining their major or specialization
- Hold regular weekly office hours and ensure students know when and where you are available to answer questions and offer guidance
- Stay up to date on advancements in the field and new research being produced in your area of expertise
- Serve on department committees as assigned by the department head and help ensure all committee goals are met in a timely manner
- Participate in university recruitment at high school college fairs and help entice the best students to apply to our university
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Experience teaching at the college level
- Desire and ability to mentor students
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- Three years of post-secondary teaching experience
Writing an engaging and appealing engineering teacher job description is the first step in locating the ideal candidate for your position. To find the best candidates, though, you need to post your job advertisement where the most applicants are likely to look. Be sure to utilize your school or university’s website to attract local job seekers who already have an interest in your institution, but also widen the search with ads across the internet.
Posting to online job boards is a big job in itself, and it can be time consuming to locate the best job sites for your position and post to each one individually. MightyRecruiter can simplify the process with free job postings to hundreds of online job boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter