Enterprise architects are professionals who help an organization develop an overall view of its operations in relation to its IT strategy. They review goals, processes and resource expenditures and recommend what level of information management resources are needed to support a company’s mission. On the flip side, they might also help plan process improvements to help a corporation align its strategies with the IT structure it already has in place.
Use the enterprise architect job description template provided to understand what skills and qualifications candidates for this position should possess. They should bring strong technical skills to the table, as well as an adept ability to think both critically and analytically.
Prospective enterprise architects should also possess a good deal of business savvy to engender trust in company stakeholders. The sample enterprise architect job description shown below will demonstrate how to list these requirements in a clear and concise manner.
Enterprise Architect Job Summary
Regional freight carrier looking for an experienced enterprise architect to help provide direction to infrastructure restructuring project. Your skills and advice will be of the utmost importance both in this immediate venture and going forward as you examine our internal process along with our internal IT network. You’ll have several qualified IT technicians and department managers at your disposal to provide you with all of the access and resources you’ll need. You’ll work closely with our operations director in developing a new information resource management strategy, and then help to oversee the incorporation of that plan into our day-to-day workflow. You’ll also get to act as an ongoing resource, offering information, guidance and insight to frontline employees, our IT staff, members of our executive management team and external stakeholders.
- Review and assess corporate goals, strategies and assets along with everyday processes and procedures and compare those to available information technology resources
- Develop a plan with operations director to update processes, procure new resources and/or restructure management in order to align expectations with current IT strategy
- Coordinate with IT director and other technical managers to oversee the strategic development of internal network
- Work with network architects and developers to help bolster security tools and protocols to prevent unauthorized access to business-critical data
- Search for areas where cost reduction opportunities may be available, such as cases where workflow may be duplicated across departments or sectors whose processes may be diverging from corporate mission
- Contribute ideas and insight to help optimize corporate information management resources to stay current with evolving business trends and new technologies
- Educate employees, data technicians and department managers on new changes to infrastructure and policies, with an emphasis placed on recognizing the need for such updates
- Share review findings and recommendations to executives and stakeholders, along with reports showing the progress in implementing new strategies
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems management, accounting or business management from accredited four-year academic institution
- Two years of previous experience in corporate planning or strategic development
- Demonstrated knowledge of IT network design and governance
- Master’s degree in either business administration or computer technology
- Prior management experience
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
Want to use this job description?
Enterprise Architect Job Responsibilities
On a candidate’s resume, his or her work experience is essential to showing an employer how he or she fits into the open position. Just like this critical resume section, the responsibilities section of your enterprise architect job description is essential to helping candidates understand what they’d be doing every day if given the job and how their skills align with what you’re looking for.
The best way to help jobseekers know what you’re looking for is to use bullet points for this meaty section. This way, your job responsibilities section is easy to read and candidates don’t have a hard time envisioning themselves filling this role. While you should try to include as much information as possible in your enterprise architect job description, you should stick to between 6-8 key bullet points so candidates don’t get overwhelmed.
Here are some good examples of enterprise architect job responsibilities you might want to include
- Locate ways to reduce costs and IT expenses on a large-scale basis
- Provide other departments with systems processing and business architecture guidance
- Create specific business architecture models that reflect the organization’s goals
- Look for discrepancies and vulnerabilities in talent recruiting and accounting models
- Identify ways to enhance employee knowledge to encourage future growth and improved productivity
Enterprise Architect Job Specifications
The job skill and qualifications section of your enterprise architect job description may at first seem extremely simple to write since it’s so short. Plus, all you have to do is outline the minimum requirements candidates have to have to successfully qualify for the open position. However, don’t forget how important this section is because its purpose is to separate candidates who barely qualify for the job from those who fit better with the required qualifications.
Remember, if you don’t clearly lay out the qualifications you want from a candidate, you’re likely going to spend more time than necessary weeding out candidates who don’t really qualify for the open position. To prevent this from happening, make sure anyone involved with the hiring process understands exactly what requirements you have for the open position. You should also outline required enterprise architect job specifications and those that are simply preferred.
Here are a few examples of some specifications you can include in your own enterprise architect job description:
2+ years of experience defining and executing strategies under a CIO or similar program Exceptional leadership and motivational skills Knowledge of enterprise architecture best practices and an extensive understanding of its goals Federated Enterprise Architecture Certification