Environmental scientists work to protect and manage the natural spaces around civilization. They develop and implement projects to investigate environmental problems, assess risks to the natural world and human health, and communicate their findings to policymakers, businesses and the public. As a result, their day-to-day duties may be varied, but generally include collection and analysis of samples and data, development of plans to combat environmental problems, and writing technical reports.
An environmental scientist job description should make sure to include a focus on analytical and problem-solving skills. Interpretation of scientific data is a crucial part of the job, as is finding the best possible solutions to complex problems.
It’s also very important to have the interpersonal skills required to cooperate with colleagues and communication skills for sharing results in both written and oral form. Refer to the environmental scientist job description below to get an idea of what to include.
Environmental Scientist Job Summary
In our invigorating and forward-thinking work environment, we provide ample opportunities for growth and professional development. Working in a team alongside some of the best scientists and engineers in the field, you will contribute to our innovative and lasting solutions for the protection of water, air and soil. You will provide high-quality consultation for a variety of public and private clients, meaning that the results of your work will have a big impact on the wellbeing of the natural world. This position is perfectly suited for conscientious, self-motivated and team-oriented candidates who are looking for challenging projects and exciting opportunities for collaboration.
- Provide science-based guidance and recommendations to public and private clients, including governmental agencies, industries, businesses and the public, for the protection of water, soil and air resources
- Advise policymakers in the development of environmental regulations, technical standards and guidelines to ensure minimal environmental harm
- Collect environmental samples in a variety of matrices, such as air, water and soil
- Prepare and analyze samples using common analytical techniques, such as gas chromatography and mass spectrometry, and good laboratory practices
- Manipulate and interpret data from various sources, such as sample analysis, pollution emission data, environmental monitoring results and more
- As part of a team, implement studies designed to gather information regarding proposed projects in accordance with laboratory standard operating protocols and accepted quality control guidelines
- Share scientific and technical information via multiple methods of communication, including written reports, graphs and charts, oral briefings, conferences, workshops, training sessions, and public hearings, while adjusting communication appropriately depending on the audience
Job Skills & Qualifications
Finding the best candidates for your company requires a solid job posting strategy. By developing a plan for attracting the top talent in your field, you can increase your odds of finding the people you need to develop your business. Writing a strong environmental scientist job description is a great first step, but that’s not all there is to it. Now that you have an attractive posting, you need to place it where the right candidates will see it. Social networking is a far-reaching tool for getting the word out. Placing a post on your company’s website is another simple way to reach candidates.
No matter which other strategies you decide to use, posting to job boards is a sure way to attract attention. This can be a time-consuming process, however. Consider using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter