Farm equipment mechanics work on a variety of agricultural machines, including both tools and vehicles. Their knowledge needs to be comprehensive because they service a variety of mechanical systems and small engines, and most need to possess knowledge of small engines, traditional gasoline combustion engines and diesel vehicle engines. In any given farming operation, the mechanics are charged with the on-site maintenance and repair of all the equipment.
In your farm equipment mechanic job description, you want to be sure you emphasize the skills and qualities that make for a good candidate. That means looking for experienced mechanics with certifications in every kind of equipment system you need them to maintain.
It also means looking for leadership and communication skills that will help the candidate stand out in your operation. Keep that in mind as you look at the professional farm equipment mechanic job description template below.
Farm Equipment Mechanic Job Summary
Our company is seeking a farm equipment mechanic capable of working independently or on a small team of four to five people, traveling to various client sites to effect repair in the field and to retrieve and repair equipment as necessary. This is a great opportunity for workers who like flexibility in the job and the ability to travel throughout the workday. Candidates need to be available for on-call duty after hours two to five times per month, and they need to possess knowledge of the various kinds of farm equipment used in different operations. For the candidate who fits these needs, the position offers early supervisory experience and the opportunity for upward mobility in our company.
- Travel to and effect repairs on farm equipment that breaks down in the field whenever on-site repairs are warranted using the proper tools and equipment
- Arrange for the transportation of pieces that need extensive repair to the nearest appropriate facility for assignment to an intensive repair team
- Maintain records of all shop supplies and tools used in a repair process, as well as all relevant labor hours for yourself and your team
- Supervise three to four technicians to effect repairs on dairy equipment, irrigation systems, and other machines that require multiple workers to diagnose and rebuild
- Provide 24-hour coverage for service calls in your assigned duty area during your on-call duty periods each month
- Provide daytime support service to the on-call mechanic whenever repair jobs requiring extra support are called into our dispatch services
- Serve on location-based repair teams servicing the equipment brought in by on-call farm equipment mechanics as they travel to client work sites
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Small engine repair certification
- Diesel engine repair certification
- Hydraulic systems repair certification
- Commercial driver’s license – Class C
- Two or more years of experience with farm equipment repair
- An associate’s degree in a field related to agriculture
Farm Equipment Mechanic Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers considering whether to apply for a position will rely on the list of duties in a farm equipment mechanic job description. The job responsibilities section should provide a sense of what this role will require an employee to do on a day-to-day basis and what skills the position involves. You should be as specific as possible when describing the types of repairs or maintenance your mechanics perform.
List 6-8 responsibilities, singling each out with a bullet point. It is a good idea to limit the number of duties you cover in this section to eight or fewer to avoid overwhelming potential applicants. Start each line with a strong verb to encourage jobseekers to envision themselves performing these tasks. This section of a farm equipment mechanic job description should focus on the most relevant requirements.
As you prepare to write this part of a description, look over the following examples of farm equipment mechanic job responsibilities:
- Meet with farmers and managers to assess problems and find the most effective solutions
- Adjust, repair or overhaul machinery of various types including combine harvesters, plows, tractors and irrigation systems
- Disassemble equipment to install repaired or replacement parts
- Replace defective irrigation pivots, sprinklers, pipes and hoses
Farm Equipment Mechanic Job Specifications
The specifications you list in a farm equipment mechanic job description can help to narrow the pool of applicants down to the most qualified contenders. Include clear statements about the level of education, training and specialized skills that you expect from the candidate that will fill this role.
Format the qualifications and skills section with a bulleted list. Address a specific requirement in each point, starting with the background and abilities necessary for mechanics on your farm. Also mention general skills that are conducive to success. List all of the essentials and then include any preferred qualifications in a separate list.
If you are not sure about which requirements to set or which credentials may be suitable as alternatives, you should discuss these considerations with management. Try to make sure that the specifications in the farm equipment mechanic job description are straightforward. For example, clarify whether you will only accept applicants with a certain level of education and experience or are willing to consider those with a different background.
Here are a few general farm equipment mechanic job specifications:
- High school diploma, equivalent or post-secondary certification required
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience or training in repairing farm equipment
- Solid verbal communication skills
- Ability to maintain detailed billing and maintenance records