Farm equipment mechanics work on a variety of agricultural machines, including both tools and vehicles. Their knowledge needs to be comprehensive because they service a variety of mechanical systems and small engines, and most need to possess knowledge of small engines, traditional gasoline combustion engines and diesel vehicle engines. In any given farming operation, the mechanics are charged with the on-site maintenance and repair of all the equipment.
In your farm equipment mechanic job description, you want to be sure you emphasize the skills and qualities that make for a good candidate. That means looking for experienced mechanics with certifications in every kind of equipment system you need them to maintain.
It also means looking for leadership and communication skills that will help the candidate stand out in your operation. Keep that in mind as you look at the professional farm equipment mechanic job description template below.
Farm Equipment Mechanic Job Summary
Our company is seeking a farm equipment mechanic capable of working independently or on a small team of four to five people, traveling to various client sites to effect repair in the field and to retrieve and repair equipment as necessary. This is a great opportunity for workers who like flexibility in the job and the ability to travel throughout the workday. Candidates need to be available for on-call duty after hours two to five times per month, and they need to possess knowledge of the various kinds of farm equipment used in different operations. For the candidate who fits these needs, the position offers early supervisory experience and the opportunity for upward mobility in our company.
- Travel to and effect repairs on farm equipment that breaks down in the field whenever on-site repairs are warranted using the proper tools and equipment
- Arrange for the transportation of pieces that need extensive repair to the nearest appropriate facility for assignment to an intensive repair team
- Maintain records of all shop supplies and tools used in a repair process, as well as all relevant labor hours for yourself and your team
- Supervise three to four technicians to effect repairs on dairy equipment, irrigation systems, and other machines that require multiple workers to diagnose and rebuild
- Provide 24-hour coverage for service calls in your assigned duty area during your on-call duty periods each month
- Provide daytime support service to the on-call mechanic whenever repair jobs requiring extra support are called into our dispatch services
- Serve on location-based repair teams servicing the equipment brought in by on-call farm equipment mechanics as they travel to client work sites
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Small engine repair certification
- Diesel engine repair certification
- Hydraulic systems repair certification
- Commercial driver’s license – Class C
- Two or more years of experience with farm equipment repair
- An associate’s degree in a field related to agriculture
Once you have written a clear and inviting farm equipment mechanic job description that lays out both the benefits and the responsibilities of the position, you will want to make sure people see it. That usually involves a variety of different strategies, including the use of career-centered social media and traditional print publications, as well as the use of online services like job boards that have been popular for a couple decades.
Your readers are going to be looking for posts on the boards relevant to their communities and professions. Save time and labor while reaching out to as many candidates as possible by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter