Farmworkers ensure the overall quality of a ranch or farm is maintained. This can include a litany of tasks, including harvesting crops, operating tools and feeding the livestock. Farmworkers are also typically expected to maintain a property’s irrigation system to ensure all the soil and crops remain properly irrigated.
Excellent physical stamina and strength is a necessity in this line of work, which should be expressed in your farmworker job description. Mechanical prowess and the ability to troubleshoot will also come in handy.
Finally, your job description should state that applicants need exceptional listening skills because they need to be aware of everything going on around the farm at all times. You can get additional insight by perusing through the farmworker job description template below.
Farmworker Job Summary
Do you enjoy getting down and dirty and working with your hands? If you answered yes, then a career as a farmworker might be right up your alley because this is one profession where no two days will be alike. You may be expected to harvest vegetables one day and repair fences the next. Anyone who considers him or herself to be a jack of all trades and loves learning new skills should absolutely apply. If there is a skill you are unfamiliar with, you do not have to worry because you will work directly with the head farmer and receive comprehensive on-site training.
- Operate several different types of machinery, including tractors, irrigation equipment and harvesters, to carry out responsibilities of role
- Repair equipment when it breaks down and perform routine maintenance to identify problems before they escalate
- Harvest vegetables by hand and check every item to ensure it meets farm’s standards while tossing away items that do not pass that threshold
- Herd cattle and once a week take them to nearby pasture for grazing; maintain vigilant eye to make sure none of the animals wander off
- Apply chemical solutions to plants to ward off insects and other pests
- Maintain communications with clients to keep them in the loop when a shipment is going to be delivered
- Clean housing areas of animals once a week or more frequently if a certain area becomes uninhabitable
- Assist in birth deliveries with farm animals, which may require administering the proper medication to help the animal push the newborn along
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent physical stamina
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to meet strict deadlines
- High school diploma or GED
- Knowledge of how to use cargo trucks, harvesters and haymaking machinery is good to have, but on-site training is offered
By clearly laying out what you need in candidates, you will be doing yourself a huge favor by avoiding applications from people who are in no way qualified. Once you have your farmworker job description completed, another big challenge presents itself: where to post it.
Posting your job description to one or two places is not going to do you much good. You need to consider all your online options because unfortunately, most people are not turning to their local newspaper looking for work anymore. Post the description on your company website and promote your new opening extensively through social media. If you maintain an email list, send the subscribers an email blast stating you are looking for new hires. Finally, you can post to free job boards with MightyRecruiter, which allows you to post to hundreds of boards simultaneously.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter