File clerks are responsible for using bookkeeping software to create online spreadsheets and databases that ensure a company runs smoothly. Typical duties include keeping records of financial transactions, ensuring employee records remain organized and maintaining scans and copies of important paper documents.
When creating your file clerk job description, you should include the skills you seek in an employee. A file clerk must have math and computer skills and be highly organized. It is also a good idea to specify which bookkeeping software your employees should be knowledgeable about.
File clerks must be detail-oriented and have a strong sense of integrity because they will deal with sensitive company information on a daily basis. They should also have strong interpersonal skills to work with peers in a productive environment. The following file clerk job description can help you determine which information to include in your own description.
File Clerk Job Summary
Are you known as the organizer among your group of friends? Would you like to make a rewarding career out of your love for order? Do you spend a little too much money on office supplies? We are looking for an organized and detail-oriented self-starter to help us stay on our toes. As a member of our team, you will get to show off your skills by assisting with filing paper documents, maintaining spreadsheets, handling customer records and ensuring we have the necessary inventory on hand to remain productive. If you’ve always wanted to organize a big office using your favorite methods, now is your chance to get behind the wheel and help us keep our company running smoothly.
- Read incoming materials, determine how they should be filed and file them according to guidelines based on alphabetical, chronological or numerical order
- Create and modify inventory, customer, employee and financial records with complete accuracy on a daily basis
- Locate documents, ensure they provide the correct information and create copies to give to authorized recipients upon request
- Inspect materials once per week to ensure correct filing, and remove and destroy outdated files according to company and legal guidelines
- Maintain records of borrowed documents by using spreadsheet and scheduling software to track where they are in the building and ensure they are returned by the agreed upon date
- Work directly with other employees and clients on a daily basis to answer records-related questions or direct them to a person or resource that does answer their questions, while maintaining a professional and friendly attitude
- Design or modify filing systems and implement new ideas to streamline the productivity process and ensure records are easy to locate and maintain
- Type documents, answer telephones, process mail, greet clients and perform other general office duties as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to maintain strict deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Friendly and professional attitude
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Some experience preferred
- FileSite experience a plus
Creating an eye-catching file clerk job description that entices potential employees is just the first step in the hiring process. You must also post your job listing to the right networks to ensure they get the best exposure possible and draw in the right applicants.
While there is a wide variety of job boards available for posting your employment ad, they shouldn’t be your only resource. It is also important to create a well-written career page on your company’s website. You may even find the right candidate by posting on social media. When you are ready to post, you can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once with the help of MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter