Numerous laws and regulations govern financial institutions, and financial examiners ensure that banks remain compliant. They assess bank management and review all financial transactions. They also stay on top of balance sheets and evaluate loan risks.
The education and certification requirements vary depending on where your job opening is. Make certain to check with your local, state and federal government standards prior to writing your financial examiner job description so you can add any special education or certification above a bachelor’s degree.
Education and experience should include an accounting and finance background. Candidates should also be analytical and detail-oriented, as working with numbers requires attention to detail. Of course, advanced math skills are also crucial, and your candidates should have experience in writing reports. Review the financial examiner job description below for additional guidance.
Financial Examiner Job Summary
We are looking for a perfectionist. You must be a “math geek” who is ready, willing and able to dive into our customers’ books to ensure they are compliant with all local, state and federal financial regulations. You are a person who wants to streamline our clients’ financial process and see the smiles on their faces when your policies and procedures help them perform their jobs better. You have no trouble spending hours going through accounting reports to ensure everything is on the up and up. In fact, you thrive on making certain all operations and transactions are as they should be. Yes, you’re a numbers geek, and we want you to join our dynamic team and audit our clients.
- Investigate daily the operations and transactions of financial institutions to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure client operations and financial outlook presents a business that is and will remain solvent within its industry, and research and resolve issues that may prevent financial solvency
- Report in writing any disciplinary action needed to proper authorities when investigation is complete
- Report in writing all findings of investigation to company and its client management, including an outline of legal and regulation compliance, financial solvency or lack thereof and questionable activities and their solutions; prepare supporting documentation for report
- Review client financial statements, including balance sheets, profit and loss statements, income and expense statements and loan documentation to confirm reported assets and liabilities are accurate as requested
- Review internal and external audit reports prepared by colleagues to confirm their accuracy and scope; confirm strengths and weaknesses in internal control measures as requested
- Problem-solve the financial problems of banking institutions, including the bank’s overall financial integrity, capital, earnings, investment portfolios and large accounts experiencing trouble as requested
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other finance-related field
- Willingness to participate in moderate on-the-job training
- Detail oriented
- Advanced analytical, communication, math and problem-solving skills
- Experience using financial compliance software, e.g. NILS InSource
- Previous auditing experience
- Previous accounting or bank experience
- Previous loan processing experience
Writing a concise financial examiner job description is the first step in attracting qualified candidates for your job opening. Make certain you fill your pool with the best applicants by advertising your job opening in newspapers, financial periodicals, online and through financial job forums and social media. Search for financial groups on social media, join them and let people know about your job.
Post the job opening, job description and your application on your website, and link people to it through the mediums discussed above. Your marketing outreach should draw people to your job-posting landing page, so make certain you include a link in all of your online discussions. Finally, post to free job boards through MightyRecruiter for optimal outreach.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter